Saturday, June 7, 2008

I Knit Here Too

Well, now that it isn't all hockey all the time here anymore, this is what I've been up to. This beautiful pair of socks is Terra Incognito by Pink Lemon Twist from her Earth Elements Collection. This may be the best value for six dollars I've spent in a long time. I'm sure to get more mileage from these patterns than six dollars worth of gas would get me. Her patterns are so detailed and written in both word and graph format. I learned to use knitting charts a year ago and as far as I'm concerned, there is no going back to the line by line instructions I'd learned to knit by-especially when it comes to lace. I did cut the leg shorter by one pattern repeat on this particular sock.

Terra Incognito in Dream In Colors Smooshy-Chinatown Apple Colorway

Once again, procrastination has bit me in the arse. This is "The Anniversary" gift I've been knitting for MONTHS. It isn't hard, but it is warm. Today, I need to work on this project that doesn't seem to end and it's a balmy 90 degrees or so out there. I am struggling just trying to find a way to knit it where the bulk of the project isn't in my lap. Air conditioning doesn't help when you are covered in Blue Faced Leicester, merino boucle, mohair loop and the secret yarn. It's hot no matter how you do it.

The Anniversary Gift for Dohamommeister and her better half.

I am still taking time here and there to appreciate the beauty of my garden. These irises are my favorite plant to look forward to and this week, they finally bloomed. This will be the plant I split when the blooming is finished. It started from one little plant about 15 years ago. On it's own, it has spread nearby. I want to plant it down the side of my house this year.




Yep, it's trash day. Don't look at the trash. I could learn a few things about photo composition. On the day I took this picture, I only had eyes for the flowers.

These are the death socks that finally killed me during sock wars. They are a tad big but I can use them as house socks. They were started by one knitter and completed by another. Each had their own interpretation of the pattern. So did I. The orderly knitting engineer within me has been smitten by the charm of this sock wars theme: my socks touched the hands of two knitters and came to reside in a third knitter's hands. I don't think it gets better than that in the charming department. The first pair I knit was more like the sock you see on the left with a rather lacy like increase. The second pair I started was more like the one on the right.


In this picture, you can see the sock on the left is the one I knit to try to kill SoCalLadyR. I sent detailed instructions to my assassin in the hope she could recreate my sock-or at least come close. I think my death socks were in Tofutsies which we've discussed has no memory. Even though the sock on the left in the picture below has soy in the blend, it's primarily wool and holds more memory. It was a pleasure to work with that yarn. Tofutsies? Not so much.


I have worn my death socks to work and they are comfortable. Thank you to both my assassins. It's somehow gratifying to know it took two of you to kill me.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Love the lace socks. The irises look pretty wonderful too!

Rudee said...

Thank you ;-). I did find you on ravelry and added you to my rav friends. See you there!

Tigers said...

I see what you mean about the afghan, looks like it'll be nice and toasty warm.
The socks look good too, pretty, ah, you are using your smooshy.

Rudee said...

I love the smooshy tigers. It's the first time I've used it and it's lovely to knit. The yardage is so generous too. Next in line to try is Mountain Colors Bearfoot.