Saturday, June 14, 2008

Oh so tough


Today was my last official day as an ICU nurse.  It was a great day to work with only one or two kerfuffles and smooth going the rest of the way.  We had a pot luck that was amazing and the one thing I'll probably miss the most.  Our group could cook and gave great parties on a moment's notice.  Thanks my friends.  It was a memorable day.

I'm also going to miss my colleagues and my brand new shiny orientee, Heather.  Her enthusiasm for her job and desire for learning was the boost my tired old nurse's heart needed.  Thank you Heather, and not just for the six pack of summer ale!  You were a delight to work with and I will miss you.  I wish I could have been there long enough to see you through the whole orientation, but you've made my last few weeks wonderful.  

As for my good friends I've made over the years, I know we'll continue to get together.  It's also possible I'll still see them in a working capacity in my new role.  I hope so.  Still, it was a bittersweet day and I'm ever so slightly heartbroken to leave a job I loved.   I hope my back appreciates this change of pace.

4 comments:

Rositta said...

Sometimes new beginnings are necessary...I'm sure you will enjoy your new job...ciao

Rudee said...

I agree Rositta. This change has been coming since my back injury in 2005. I've just been a little slow in listening to my body.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there for your potluck missy. I am sure you will once again find comfort in your new position and you will rock in it much like the ICU. You will certainly have to keep in touch and let me know how it goes. What ever come of the war?

Rudee said...

Hello T! I will miss you but I'm sure since we have a shared hobby, I'll still see you! Thanks for the words of encouragement. It'll be hard to be a novice in a new specialty again. I keep reminding myself I'm bringing a wealth of knowledge to the table in respect to comfort issues. This of course is due in part to all of the wonderful NPs who I have worked with. Y'all are so smart!