Sunday, June 22, 2008

You Never Can Tell

While recuperating with my back this weekend, it seems I've gotten an amazing amount of knitting done. I can't show you because it's a gift, but it's almost there. You've seen peeks through the past few months of this project but never the whole thing.



I am many tens of thousands of stitches into this and there is light at the end of the tunnel. These are incredibly bulky yarns which makes each stitch tough. I'm doing this in a split rib pattern so every other row is ribbed. Each row is done in a different yarn and takes nearly 30 minutes to complete (it's knit from side to side.) I have countless hours invested in this. I only know there is light at the end of the tunnel because the yarn is almost gone. Later, I'm going to do a search for any stray skeins that didn't get wound or got put away in an odd spot. This is not an easy task since there is yarn stored all over the place.

The agenda has been pretty much stretching, sit on the heating pad, motrin, stretching, knitting and an inordinate amount of movie watching. Last night it was Charlie Wilson's War, Shrek the Third (again) and the Back Nine at Cherry Hills. That was an excellent documentary about the 1960 US Open with Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. Ben Hogan was a very handsome man. In the videos of him, it appears he may have had a nice gluteus most maximus back swing. Sigh.

Today, I watched Georgia Rule, Ocean's 13, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp and Pulp Fiction (again.) I don't know why, maybe it's the music, I just don't know, but this song and this scene always make me happy:




Now John Travolta? No maybe about it here; he does have nice assets. There is also something incredibly sexy about a guy who can dance like that. Whew. Is it hot in here, or is it just me? Could be the heating pad....

4 comments:

Rositta said...

I hope your back feels better, funny I've been popping robaxicet this weekend too. Too much gardening I think. I adore John Travolta and I loved Charlie Wilsons War and so true, just look what's happening in Afghanistan today...ciao

Rudee said...

I bet your garden looks nice. My back is better than yesterday. I'm orienting 4 to midnight today. Yippee-no more 8 hour days in a torture chair.

Lacy said...

I've looked all over for the Ben Hogen video. Where did you find it? My daughter is thinking about back surgery. She's only 37.

Rudee said...

Hi Lacy,
The golf video is on HBO this month. It's run a few times so far. If you have HBO and digital cable, you can get it on demand. It was fabulous.

I kick around the idea of back surgery but find if I avoid the things that get it revved up, I do ok. "They" say rehab and surgery have about the same outcomes. Lifting and sitting on my arse kill me... Surprisingly, I'm ok sitting if it's on a hard surface and not a cushioned or poorly cushioned surface. I hope your daughter does well.