Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Department of Redundancy Department


Today I get to do one of my favorite things and interact with human resources folks at my new job.  This has left me in a reflective mood.

I am wondering, if my new job is a transfer within the same health network, why I need to provide my credentials all over again.  Is this not a waste of resources?  

Why do I need to provide my CPR certification for a job in hospice? I don't plan on resuscitating the dying.  Will I need to provide Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification along with the Fundamentals of Critical Care Support Provider certificate as well?

Why did I not consider gas costs and the mileage spanking I'm about to take on with this new job?  Did I want change so badly that this was not even a fleeting thought?  It's a hike to the west side of town which is about to become my new territory.  Note to self: renew XM radio and scout all the Panera Breads between here and there (free internet.)  The Dingo's got a new slogan on the header of his home page and it fits me to a tee: "he who laughs last, thinks slowest."  That's me.  Slow.

If I ask my husband where something may be, he'll counter with "I don't know, where did you file it?"  Obviously, if I knew, I wouldn't be asking him.  Subsequently, I don't ask where he may have put something anymore, I jump right to the accusation that he threw it out.  This is not always the case and I must work on getting better organized.  I just never knew I'd need to reproduce the documents I need for today to the same organization I've worked for on and off for the last 16 years!

Do work places change the name of human resources to Work-Life Services because people like me always called that department Inhumane Resources?

Where the hell did I put my social security card?  I'd put money on a burglar being able to find it, but I'll be damned if I can. 


2 comments:

willowtree said...

Have you ever noticed that whenever you lose something, you always find it in the last place you look?

Rudee said...

You have a point. For the life of me, I don't know where that will be-I bet it's with my college diploma which I couldn't find either. I guess I'll get a new ss card. With certainty, that's when the lost one will reappear.