Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who's Zooming Who?


As I stood inside a gas station last night waiting to pay for my purchase of a bottle of coke, I watched the pump price climbing outside as my tank was being filled. As it topped $50, I was mentally searching for my last known bank balance, wondering if there was enough in that account to cover this purchase. As my tank had been empty and I know it holds only 17 gallons, I did another quick equation in my brain and calmed down a bit. No need to jump out of line and stop the pump. I'd hate to go over my balance and have the bank tack on another $35 for an overdraft fee.

I got home from my errands and sat down to knit. I was watching MSNBC where a few energy headlines were being discussed. The first issue was about allowing offshore drilling in the states. I don't know how I feel about this. Is it smoke and mirrors? Is there enough there to make a difference and to take on those risks?

The second issue was discussion about the Enron Loophole Law created by none other than the dastardly Ken Lay and cronies. The first question I had was why can't this guy's legacy die like he did? The second is more important: what the hell is the Enron Loophole Law and what does it have to do with me paying $68 to fill my tank today?



I'm sick to death of these people: banks, brokers, politicians of both parties and Ken Lay. The greed sickens me. Although I have better use for $68, I can pay for it without giving up necessities. I don't spend like I used to though and my incentive rebate sits in the bank earning a paltry interest rate. I do worry about people who can't pay for gas. To top this disgusting news, Michigan released the new unemployment rate of 8.5%. Four hundred of those were colleagues of mine just one month ago. I wonder if their temporary unemployment checks will pay for their gas.

3 comments:

Rositta said...

And the Saudi's are laughing all the way to the bank and using the oil money to feed terrorism...ciao

Rudee said...

I think though, it's American traders and bankers who are laughing all the way to the bank. Obviously, the jokes on us.

Rositta said...

Maybe they will end up facing charges just like the mortgage traders? Gas is $1.38 a litre today, who the heck can afford to go anywhere...ciao