Friday, May 9, 2008

Killing Time

Here is the hook for boys who haven't a clue why an ICU nurse would need one of these. We do not play contact sports per se on our job; we use this little toy to secure the last toy pictured here. Read on.


Just killing time waiting for the start of Sock Wars III which is late. It's supposed to start at 12 noon GMT which by my calculations was an hour ago but may be at 9am if one takes DST into account. We'll see. I thought I would show you some of the equipment we nurses (3 of us for 1 patient) had the delight to play with. Who says chicks who nurse don't have cool toys?

Seems the patient can't protect his airway. We'd better tube him. Quick, get the vent.



"I have a bad feeling here. Could you just park the crash cart outside the door to the room please?"

"Could someone run to blood bank for me?" Only a dozen times.

"Oh, I'm so relieved endoscopy is coming to us instead of us going to them. Their room is so teeny compared to ours."



"Quick, get me the largest bore IV you have!" "OK Doctor Savetheday, here it is. You did want the Cordis, right?"



Let's get this Blakemore tube in. Hurry. BP is FALLING, HR is skyrocketing. Looks like hemorrhagic shock to me. Nurse Rudee says a little prayer for her colleague's patient at this point. "Jesus, I've never seen so much blood, please make it stop."

4 comments:

Rositta said...

I'm waiting too...if you read her blog though she says she will spend the afternoon getting the final list ready!! Does that mean she's made a mistake and it will be tonight? I also thought I read something about Saturday, weird the whole thing...ciao

Rudee said...

And waiting, and waiting. I double checked my registration and I am confirmed but not on the warrior list. Perhaps she is behind. She said there were 1300 warriors and only 800 are listed. We are probably in the caboose here. Think I'll go do dishes.

Rositta said...

Go get the pattern and start knitting, forget dishes. I don't have my target but I'm knitting furiously. I do have to stop and go get my car though, it's in the shop...ciao

Rudee said...

I started knitting R.--then abandoned the Tofutsies. I HATE IT. I am using Lorna's Laces and forget the grand prize (with my late start, I suspect I'm gonna die too early to win it anyways.) Such is life, but I've got a cuff and working to the leg.