Friday, May 16, 2008

Diary of a Mad Sock Knitter

I'm modeling the Detonator socks for you as I'm not sure if Pixiedust has a way of sharing them with the world and they are too fabulous not to share!

Truth be told, I've not been knitting socks for very long. I started a little over a year ago and taught myself with online videos from Knitting Help and several books. Most of the books made absolutely no sense until I read the Yarn Harlot's book, Knitting Rules! Her description of how to make socks suddenly clicked and I've not put down itty bitty sock yarn and toothpick sized needles since. I've knit about a dozen pair in a little over a year. One week is the fastest I've ever knocked a pair out with the exception of a pair made in a thicker yarn. Those were super fast. I'm learning new tricks all the time and challenging myself. This particular pair was made mostly on 2 circular needles. I like it. It's fast-faster than double points and nary a ladder to be seen which is an issue when using 4 or 5 needles. This will probably become my favored method.

These are the socks drying. Yes, I washed them after modeling.

Sock knitting is mysterious, fun and portable. I take a sock in progress just about everywhere and time flies. I feel empty handed and fidgety when I find myself waiting somewhere with time on my hands and nothing to knit in them. As my Granny used to say, "idle hands are the devil's workshop." I'd have been a better kid if she'd taught me to knit.

Proof that socks are portable.

People are enchanted watching other people knit; it's hypnotic and peaceful. There wasn't a single person in my ACLS class who wasn't charmed by my tale of a battle to the death using socks as a weapon. Many pictures were taken during class but I chose to show you the lethal arrhythmia on the monitor during the Megacode. This is one that's ok for the dummy but that nurses don't want to ever see in real life!

My first pair of socks I knit were in an extraordinary ugly yarn in which I managed NOT to get gauge (surprise.) They are huge and hideous but at the same time very special. Kind of like your firstborn is special. I wear them on my feet at night when it's cold out. They're gargantuan and would fit Andre the Giant. These lovely and soft Lorna's Laces are the perfect size for Pixie. The colors are beautiful and despite the fact that I abhor the pattern, it does make this special yarn stand out. I hope my target appreciates the beauty of these socks.

Meet Myra. She was a sport at the post office and posed with my outgoing package. See, even an assassin needs friends in places where they can do you some good. Thanks Myra.

I apologize for the blurriness of this photo. I must have been excited to see them go and maybe a bit reluctant. The time came and off they went today. They'll be at their destination by noon Saturday. Incidentally, I'm still alive. Damn.

No comments: