Sunday, March 2, 2008

I've Finally Been Diagnosed!

This is Brian (aka "Sparky") and he is the new addition to my "family".  This gentleman is my BFF's sweetie.  Lucky for me and my pocketbook too, he just happens to be an electrician!   Now if I could only find a carpenter, cement contractor and plumber to join in, my family will be complete. 

I have had an issue all week with lights flickering in my house.  At first I wasn't too concerned but then I googled lights flickering and was immediately afraid of dying of smoke inhalation.  I called Fanette last week but they were in Florida freezing their asses off (it's a long, sad tale)  and couldn't come to my rescue until today.

I showed Brian to the circuit breaker and my friend and I went upstairs to pour coffee and catch up.  When I went down to hear the bad news, he said "it's nothing, you've just got a screw loose."   Damn.  Now I need a therapist to join the family too.

2 comments:

Willowtree said...

Ok, I'll try not to freak you out too much but....

I'm also a qualified electrician, and loose screws account for about half of the electrical faults that burn houses down. It's like this, a loose screw creates what's called a "high resistance joint" and due to the temperature coefficient of resistance, the more resistance there is the more heat that's produced, and vice versa.

Long story short, eventually the connection gets so hot that things catch on fire. I'm not making this up.

Rudee said...

Well thank God it's fixed. Now if I can just remember to blow out the candles before I go to bed, I'll be all set in the fire safety department!