Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gone Knitting and Stash Diving

I love clever and useful knitting ideas.  While snooping around my favorite on line yarn store, I found this idea for a knitted afghan.  It's brilliant.  It appeals to me because I can just add to it when I feel like it and use it while it is growing.  I love scarves (this winter I loved my moebious best of all).  They keep me warm and looking stylish.  This winter, multiple scarves were a necessity.  Best of all, since they are my own creation, I don't see myself coming and going.


The added benefit of knitting an afghan like this is the ability to drag out my stitch dictionaries and practice a few new stitches and patterns.  I own the vogue line of stitchionaries and love them. The last scarf I made was for a friend utilizing alpaca (from Peru) and a Peruvian Lace stitch found in Vogue's volume 1.  She had spent many years in Peru.   I loved it and so did she.


So there is my plan.  A scarf a month (and darned if I don't use up my stash) until I have what I need.   Then, I'll stitch them together and voila! An afghan is born.  Very clever.  Thanks Jimmy Beans.

2 comments:

Baywood Yarns said...

I've thought about doing a similar thing with mitered squares from leftover sock yarn... the idea of buiilding an afghan in pieces is really appealing!

Rudee said...

I like your leftover yarn idea too. I have so many bits and pieces of yarn from many completed pieces that I don't know what to do with. I thought of making heels and toes for my socks with the odds and ends but never have (this would just leave MORE leftovers). I think I like your idea better.