Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Better Late Than Never

There, my camera lens is completely free of sticky spots of honey now.

My first born child is to be the recipient of my latest knitting binge. Since she gave me the book Fitted Knits, by Stefanie Japel, I figure it's only right that she get the first pattern I've actually knit from the book. I shouldn't mention it's been 10 months since I received the book. It is indeed, better late than never. You voted for which sweater I'd knit for her and I started it last weekend. I'd originally thought I'd knit this in Louisa Harding's Grace. The green was a solid though and the hand-painted green was too bright, something better suited to St. Patrick's Day. What I settled on was Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed (colour # 360011)- a wool and angora blend from Ireland. I like the variations of color a bit more than the solid yarn. I do think this sweater would be beautiful in Grace and I can visualize it in a plum color that would be stunning.

I can't recall when I started this. It was either Saturday or Sunday. Instead of casting on the sleeves for my pink sweater, I felt compelled to start something entirely new. I'm not disappointed in myself either. It's easy enough to knit while watching old movies, with just enough difficulty to keep me entertained. Working with this particular yarn is a bonus. I'm sort of at the point where I need to take it off the cables now and measure it on my daughter. That's the real beauty of a top down sweater. It can be tried on as you go along. The basketweave bodice is completely finished and I'm moving down to the body of this piece. Since it's knit entirely in the round, there aren't any seams and it looks like it may be a bit boxy. I think a little waist shaping will fix that. There are plenty of pictures on Ravelry and knitters didn't really indicate whether additional shaping was necessary.  Some mentioned they wish they had added shaping although they all look nice enough without it. Ill have to have my daughter try it on to see where we are before I get too far.

The neck of the sweater is stockinette and rolls a bit. It'll roll less when I find a button for that peek-a-boo shoulder. I'm happy with this piece so far. It's been a super simple and completely satisfying knit.

Now for some general housekeeping, I'm going to pack some odds and ends into this post.  I'm taking my MacBook in to see those Geniuses at the Apple Store tomorrow.  I don't know if I'll be Macless for a day or two, or what.  There is something not quite right with the keyboard. Additionally, the monitor has developed a thin line right down the center of the display.  I don't like it.  So I'm off to take this baby in to the shop.  I'm going to try not to buy anything else while I'm there.  So if you don't hear from me for a day or two, you'll know why.  

Finally, I'll leave you with this:  while watching Food Network yesterday, Rachel Ray was waxing poetic about chorizo sausage.  On and on and on.  And then she said, "I just love to get my hands around sausage."  Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.   Oh.My.God!  

9 comments:

Jane said...

Love that yarn, it's beautiful and I am sure it will look fantastic on your daughter

laurie said...

that sweater is going to be great. and you can't go wrong with anything from ireland.

good luck getting the computer fixed.

Rudee said...

I agree Laurie about the yarn Laurie. It usually doesn't disappoint.

Miss-I bought the October issue of Knitting, from the UK last night for the Debbie Bliss pattern on page 62 using this same yarn. It's a cute cardigan. Next!!!! The stitch pattern is intriguing.

Mrs. G. said...

Great color.

sandy said...

hahahahah ...what rachel ray said..

Enjoyed reading you and seeing what you are working on.

My laptop, before this one, got dropped, by me, and developed bleeding everywhere on the screen, poor thing. Hope you don't have a crack in yours....

BJ said...

That naughty girl....Rachel Ray! I love her!

I so admire all of your knitting. You make it all sound & look so easy. The color you show is really very pretty. A very soft tone.

Brenda said...

Very pretty Rudee. You work fast!!! I don't know if I will ever catch up with ya. When I first got back into knitting my hands felt stiff and arthritic. It has actually started to feel much better though. I don't know if it is because I try to knit every night for at least 30 minutes.
Hope your computer feels better soon.

Rudee said...

The news on the laptop is that it needs some sort of new chip. It's on order so I'm not without my mac until it comes in. When it does, holy smokes, it may be gone a whole week. Sniff. Sandy, to my knowledge, it didn't get dropped. I don't police it 24/7 though-and maybe I should. That's an entirely different post. Thanks Brenda, BJ and Mrs. G.

Betty F said...

Ah Rudee! That's great! If my husband Paul had read your post, he'd have said.. HEY NOW.. like Howard Stern! Great ending to a great post!