Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Back at IT

I've been knitting again and it feels pretty good.  I'm relieved my slump was minor and temporary; perhaps I just needed a little break from it all.  I'm plowing through Clapotis and have gone well past the halfway mark.  Maybe by next weekend, I'll finish it.  I hope so since it's certainly timely in terms of the weather. 

Next up in the knitting queue are the sleeves for my pink sweater and since October is the month for pink, I'm itching to get this done.  If I knit the sleeves side by side on a long cable needle, they'll be finished at the same time and I won't be plagued with finishitis.   I started this sweater in March and the body of the sweater has been done since June.  I think it's time to finish it up.  I actually pulled the yarn and pattern out of storage and it's that much closer to me now.

During all my time knitting, I've been considering the differences of opinion that I seem to share with a few of my relatives.  With my husband, I've had some pretty big fundamental differences.  The last major one was over our iron.  I hated the Black and Decker iron, preferring instead, my expensive Rowenta iron.  Two years ago, my oldest child lost her roommate and by default, her iron.  She ended up taking my Rowenta.  Not so sadly, the Black and Decker died last week and I found myself shopping for a new iron.  Now would have been a perfect time to take back the Rowenta and slip it in under my husband's nose, but I didn't.  I went out and bought a duplicate of the cheap iron we'd had.  Over time, I've come to agree with his point of view.  The cheap one was lighter, durable and did a decent job.  Its price was $80 less than the Rowenta.  We've suffered many such differences over the years, but none politically.  Thank God for that because I don't think I could live under the same roof if we had major differences like those and I don't recall vetting him for his political viewpoints.  It wouldn't be easy,  as it was with the iron, to sway my opinion in terms of political allegiance.  My politics are written in stone. 

How do Mary Matalin and James Carville do it without killing each other?  I mean, does it get any odder than a right wing republican marrying a hardcore democrat?   James Carville coined the expression, the economy, stupid during Bill Clinton's first bid for the presidency.  Funny that!  It's still the economy, stupid.  Anyways, politics makes strange bedfellows. 

I feel as though I've upset some folks with my political opinions.  I do know a few things for certain.  I don't feel my life is better off than it was 8 years ago.  I feel as though my leaders have lied their asses off for 8 straight years and yes, I know they all lie, but none to the scale our current president and his cronies have.  I'm fully aware that I shouldn't paint John and Sarah with the same brush but, they're from the same party.  How can one help but to look at  the past?  He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it. Frightening times.

Well, that's it.  I'm back to my knitting now.  I'm thinking I'll watch this movie:


14 comments:

Betty F said...

I don't always agree with you politically, but I love to read your point of view! :) This year I may vote Democratic.. My husband will not. He converted to Republicanism shortly after we married and now I'm leaving the boat!

Rudee said...

I won't hold it against you Betty-especially if you're thinking of jumping into the democratic pool and tempted to vote to the left of things. Come on over, the water feels just right on this side of the pool.

Brenda said...

Well, first I have to say that I am amazed that your husband even knows what kind of iron you have. My husband tried once to iron and it wasn't pretty. However I do regret not letting him learn in whatever way he needed to!
I try to keep my political and religious feelings to myself, but it is getting very hard. We have found ourselves right smack dab in the middle of both issues this past week, and I am not sure I will be keeping quiet about it. This is something that is going on in our community, not on any ones blog and it isn't in the news YET.
I also don't usually talk about it to just anyone, because I feel I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to debate anything. All I am armed with are opinions and feelings. But my opinions and feelings are very strong.
I don't know if you meant to make me laugh Rudee, but your video clip made me laugh. I have always loved that line in that movie. Classic!!

Anonymous said...

Rudee,
It is funny, hubby and I have the same disagreements over the exact same irons. We have well water, which pretty much ruins our irons, despite our water softening system. I opted for the more expensive one too, but it rusted out, even thou it said on the package it wouldn't. So were back to Black and Decker.

I'm glad your back to knitting the pink sweater. I bet it will be beautiful. Feels so good to finish a project.

I am glad you have the courage to speak out on your views. You have a right to your opinion and it is your blog. I'm not just saying that because I agree with you 100%.

Enjoy your evening.
XXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cup of Joe today. It was a nice visit..


FTM

Rudee said...

I'm pretty lucky Brenda, he does a lot of stuff around the house. He told me today he is resurrecting the dying iron because the new one just isn't the same. I think it's an OCD thing.

Now I'm dying to know about the scandal in your town. Spill girl.

Rudee said...

I've always been a big mouth Cheryl. Just ask FTM- he of the anonymous posts. My brother.

Rudee said...

You're welcome FTM. And we never spoke politics once. The stakes are just too high with our own problems. I guess that's just the point. It was good to see you too.

Anonymous said...

Maybe OCD has nothing to do with your husband's iron of choice. The Black and Decker Iron generates more steam than a geyser at Yellow Stone National Park and is heavier than a chunk of lead! A man's iron for a real man!

Rositta said...

Glad to hear your knitting again. I'm doing some too to keep myself occupied. I bought a cheap no name iron here in Greece for 20 euros and it seems to work okay. I don't think I've eve had a really expensive one...ciao

Rose said...

I'm definitely on the same page as you politically. And the marriage of Carville-Matalin has always intrigued me. My first husband and I were on the opposite ends of the political spectrum, which seemed to become more important towards the end. Thankfully, my current husband (that sounds weird) and I are exactly in sync politically. It's so much nicer to be able to discuss politics with someone who's intelligent about the subject, not someone who just digs into a position because the right wing talk radio/religious right folks say so. Hope I didn't step on anyone else's toes; that's not my intent.

the rotten correspondent said...

Can I just cut and paste that political paragraph for my blog?

Can I? Can I please?

Anonymous said...

Hey we never talk politics when we get together, to many other important things to talk about.....Flossy Constance never would have permitted it either. It was one of the things she just never wanted to talk about when family got together. I sure miss her rolls.


FTM

sandy said...

Glad you're back to knitting and differing views, I like to read them all!

Personally, I don't trust either of them, but that's just me.

I sure like Michelle though.