Thursday, October 9, 2008

IDRNTOO


We've established many times, just how long I've been a caregiver. All of my life. It was my calling, truly. When I first went into nursing, I took the short course and became an LPN. I needed to do that to escape a bad marriage. I needed a way to provide for myself and my young child. It took an entire year to get through that program and I often felt, it was the hardest one of my life. I had light at the end of the tunnel but was living in the same home as an alcoholic and abusive man. My parents used to beg me to leave there because they were worried for my safety. I however, needed a plan and that took time.

I finally got what I needed, moved out and I took my daughter with me. I got a job at a horrible nursing home in a very rural area. To say the least, they were very backwards there. I'm sure the place still exists and I can only hope they've joined modern nursing in this new century. I kind of doubt it.

My second job was a little better but I worked midnights with an odd Eastern Indian woman who like to tell me at every opportunity, "IDRN, UDLPN." "Isidandchard, udodmeds." For all 60 patients, I passed the meds while Nurse George, maybe her real name, sat on her royal fanny. This was 1984. All these years later, it still burns my ass. I despise sloth. It was however, the dawning of the burning need to go back to school so I could get the hell out of places like that. That's exactly what I did too. I went to school, worked full time and mothered my daughter. I was driven to get away from Ms. George.

All I talked about during that time, was my hatred for Nurse George. Nonstop, I bitched to anyone who would listen. It helped to fan the flames to keep myself going. I was definitely burning the candle at both ends. In 1986, I no longer worked with her, but I still talked about her. I was so close to finishing school and I had a new sweetie then; my husband to be. One day, we got in the car and started driving. We stopped in Port Huron and went to the marina to see all the sailboats waiting to race to Mackinac Island. Then we decided to cross the bridge to Canada and just drive. We ended up in Niagara Falls, two hundred miles away. Along the way, I told him all about my nemesis. A lot. The next day, strolling alongside Niagara Falls, above the roar of the water, I heard my name being shouted in a thickly accented voice. There she was, DRN. I couldn't escape her. I was completely gobsmacked at this chance meeting. So was my husband. I'd We'd talked about her for at least two of the four hours it took to drive there and now, here she was in the flesh. Like she'd been following me.

I still think about this nurse often. I've run into people just like her over the years and while I still abhor sloth, maybe I owe her a debt of gratitude. Perhaps she is the one who was the driving force to get me back in school. Maybe her example helped shape my own nursing practice. Twenty four years later, I'm now willing to forgive Nurse George her slave driver ways. Without her, I'd still be passing meds to 60 patients a day. I only hope that bringing her up again, I haven't given myself a Beetlejuice like curse.

9 comments:

Steve Mullett said...

That's a really good story! Congratulations on all your success.

sandy said...

This is am AMAZING Story. How absolutely ODD that she was there at the end of your destination....

Man...!!! I could rattle on and on about why I think that was but this story should just stand in all its' "synchronicity" as a shining example of what we think upon expands.

Good for you getting out of that relationship.

And by the way, You are the lucky winner of the cats in a box and the deaf bird. Although, there is a glitch. Come on over and read why you won't be receiving your package.

Rudee said...

Wow, thank you Sandy. Not. Just what I need, 2 neurotic kittens and a deaf bird! That would certainly round out my house of misfits!

Thanks Steve.

The Crusty Crone said...

I guess that's why some people say "Don't ever mention that person's name to me again!" They want to be save from the beetlejuice curse. (grin)

Betty F said...

GREAT STORY. I'm showing it to some one I love! Get her to finish her education! Thanks!

Rose said...

That's a much better way to look at it; it's all about perspective. My former mother-in-law was a tough nut to crack, a "difficult" person initially, but having to learn how to deal with her taught me some amazing life skills that I use to this day. Just goes to show.

Anonymous said...

No Beetlejuice curse for you, just an amazing story about the negative things/people in our lives who turn out to be a motivating force and in the end teach a good lesson. Having said that I hope you never have to work for a sloth like that again.

Weird how she ended up at Niagra Falls. Weirder yet, how you didn't "accidently" push her over the falls..JUST KIDDING. I dislike people like that so much. Changing schools this year has opened my eyes to how little some School Social Workers do and it bugs me. It bugs me more that they can get away with it!

Thanks for this funny and amazing story. You are an inspiration!
XXXXX

Jane said...

Goodness, it's a small world. What a fine way you have of looking at that whole chapter too.

Brenda said...

Great reflection Rudee. It' s good to look back sometimes and be able to tell a great story like this. It can inspire others.