Sunday, October 19, 2008

What Has She Gots in Her Stash Precious?

What have I got here? I've been sitting on this single skein of Hand Maiden's 4 ply cashmere for over a year. I don't usually buy cashmere. At $38.00 per skein, who can afford it? You know, I think the math sounds better when I say it's only twenty one cents a yard. Doesn't it? Simple twine is half the price. Now who would knit a sweater out of twine? I guess it doesn't sound so bad after all. I can really get going with the rationalizing if you let me. The skein I purchased isn't marked with the color, but I think it may be Peridot. However, what I have is much more pale than that picture. This yarn hasn't really spoken to me yet so I'm still thinking of what it should be when it's knit up. Whatever it is, I think it should be something that sits close to the skin. This stuff is so incredibly soft. Every once in a while, I take it out of the bin where I protect it from the elements, just to touch it. It is soft, soft, soft.

Fetching by Cheryl Niamath-a free pattern in Knitty

A US size 6 needle will give me close to 4 stitches to the inch. There are 185 yards. What should it be? I don't know if I could bear to knit Fetching one more time, having done so 4 times last Christmas, but that's an option.

Cat Bordhi's Cashmere Moebius Cowl-a free pattern

I originally bought this single skein to knit a moebius lace cowl as a gift for someone else. I didn't because she said something really annoying to me. Duh. Cashmere for her? I don't think so. She got a store bought gift instead. Now, I want to knit something for myself out of this luxurious hank of yarn.

Debbie Bliss Moss Stitch Beret from Pure Cashmere

I've been perusing One Skein and Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere for ideas. There is a beautiful moss stitch beret and a beanie in the Bliss book that look gorgeous. I have more yardage than required to knit either one. I could do a beaded hat like Wilde Thyme Knitter. I've been admiring the Odessa pattern she is working on for a really long time. Cashmere and beads. How pretty would that be?

Odessa by Grumperina-a free Ravelry download

I know you can see where I'm going with this. Yes, it's democracy in action again at Casa de Rudee. Since you did such a good job selecting the autumn sweater I should knit, I'd like you to pick my cashmere's destiny. It's a single skein and a quick knit whatever you should select. I just can't make up my mind. Go vote in the upper left hand corner and I'll cast on for that project on Friday. It's good practice for the real voting event that I know you all can't wait to see end. Maybe this can be a new trend in elections. You have an offering and 5 days later, the election is over. Gosh, that would be wonderful. I'm so politically weary. My one and only campaign promise is that whatever you select, I'll wear to the voting booth on November 4th. There will be pictures to prove I keep my promises and that I vote!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for treating yourself! I bet the feel of that is divine. It has to be something special and I will vote. I think I already know.
Happy knitting!
Wish I could knit, I really do. You don't know how lucky you are.....wait, I bet you do.
XXXXX

Jane said...

ooh I bet that is sooooo soft

Rose said...

I'd make the handmitts cause I don't wear hats, but I think the beaded hat is the prettiest thing and if you wear hats, that's the one. Beads and cashmere does sound lovely.

laurie said...

i love the cashmere and bead hat, but i think that's the kind of hat that only looks flattering on a certain head.

i'm glad you made me mittens and not a hat, because i can't wear any close-fitting hat like that one--i have to wear big soft loose hats that i can pull over my ears but that don't fit tight on my head or else i immediately get a crushing headache.

for that reason i had to pick the beret, which looks like it would fit softer.

The Crusty Crone said...

oooohhhhhh ... sooooooft.

However the vote goes (and I'm going now to cast mine) I think you should go with your instincts. after all, I'm going to vote and I don't know diddly squat about knitting.

Rudee said...

Oooh. It's close here. I like a good old horse race-except in this year's presidential campaign. There, I'd rather see a landslide in favor of the blue team.

I'd better check the bead stash. I know I have some, but I don't recall how much or what colors. This may necessitate a trip to the bead store just so I'm ready to cast on this Friday.

Crusty, this is one election where you can vote for just what appeals to you. You don't have to look deeper than that!

Jane said...

Now I love the look of all these items. However, as the yarn is two-tone I would probably knit the cowl. I'm not sure that two tone yarn does justice to moss stitch or cable and may be a little too much with beads on the Odessa. But who knows? It's your choice Rudee. It's a beautiful yarn with a fantastic texture and I'm sure will look wonderful whatever you make with it.
xx

the rotten correspondent said...

I've made my share of inadvertent mobeus cowls lately. Sigh. I voted for the beaded hat, but I think anything you make would be lovely.

Is it too late to take you up on that sock offer?

Rositta said...

Absolutely the beaded hat and someday I'll make one too. I have two skeins of cashmere in my stash but I think I'll use one now to make the Mobius cowl for myself...ciao I'm back