Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dear XM

For several years now, I have been a faithful subscriber to your satellite radio services. I've carried your service in 3 vehicles. This past month, we completely lost our minds in an effort to support our economy, my husband and I bought our son a brand spanking new Ford Focus. We just couldn't see him driving into the city in his old hooptie anymore and quite frankly, we were worried that he lacked the skills to make the car go like Fred Flintstone could. Any day, his feet would have gone right through the floor boards of his old, beat up, though well used and loved jalopy. Along with his spanking new car, he got the fancy option of attaching his Ipod to listen to the music HE wants to hear. If you can imagine, it really is commercial free which is something you promised to be, but no longer are. He also got 3 free months of satellite radio which we'll take but aren't likely to renew when done. So you see, he doesn't need you anymore. He really only needed you because Mr. Larger Than Life broke his antenna and he couldn't get the more attractive free radio in the first place.

Imagine our surprise when not two weeks later, my husband totaled his own car. Although I'm sure the junkyard employees would appreciate satellite radio, we can't listen to that particular account in that car anymore. And guess what? His new ride also has free satellite radio and the same option to play his Ipod music, commercial free of course. Yes, he got a Ford, too.

That leaves just me, but you're billing me for 3 accounts when I only need one. Truth be told, I mostly listen to local AM radio when I'm working out of my car so I know where the traffic kerfuffles are located. These days, I only spend time in my car when I'm working and last I looked, AM radio is free. I think you can plainly see that I don't need you either. Because of that, we desperately need to close these accounts but doing so has been an exercise in futility.

I've been trying to accomplish what should be a simple task for some time now. Today, your company has taken valuable time spinning yarn away from me. My calls have been transferred all over the world from one department to another where I have spent a disgusting amount of time on hold only to be disconnected for the effort. You know, I went through this with an AOL account I had years ago and I'm a little concerned that although we have good reason to close our accounts, seeing as we have little need for them, I worry that your business is impossible to navigate to get this job done.

If I didn't already have a head of gray hair making it impossible to count them all, I'd think you gave me 20 more today.

Sincerely,

RudeeK

14 comments:

The Crusty Crone said...

There should be a law!! Or something. Businesses that refuse to close your account when instructed to do so. That just burns my buns, royally. I, too, could not get an aol account closed. I was flabbergasted, but I didn't sweat it. I just didn't pay for it and my situation was such that there wasn't anything they could do to get the money.

Rudee said...

Yes, CC, I think the deal with XM plays like a broken record. Hopefully, they'll stop billing me sometime soon. In the meantime, I'd better burn some new CDs.

SkippyMom said...

OMG - they are cojoined with my Gas Company, aren't they? sigh.

We received our gas bill today - 19 dollars in gas usage but the bill is for 474 dollars because they want a 450 dollar deposit. Um, why?

Silliyak said...

One of your local TV and/or radio stations probably has consumer volunteers that can help you AND give some bad PR to XM. Give em' a call!

Gail said...

I read today some companies are going to charge extra if they have to send you a bill by mail, rather than on line. That should be outlawed especially since many people do not own a computer.

Catherine said...

I drive a Focus too! Mine was 6 years old when I got it 3 year ago - it had one careful owner who clocked up 47,000 miles in those 6 years and now it has 130,000 miles up, some mileage thanks to my community work. Thankfully I get paid mileage for my working usage! I don't quite understand the references to XM, is it a telecoms/internet/satellite provider? Do you have to pay for FM radio or is it only AM in the car? I have an iTrip-like device (about one tenth of the iTrip price!) that enables my iPod to play thru' my car radio on a few different preset frequencies, that works great for me to listen to my podcasts or music as I drive between calls.
Take care,
Catherine.

Pyzahn said...

Don't you just hate dealing with the corporate dildos in the department so erroneously called "customer service". Makes me nuts.

P.S. There is a photo dedication to you on Prattle.

Rudee said...

Pyzahn, it's important my husband never sees that photo.

Catherine: XM is a satellite radio service that when it came out, was almost completely commercial free. AM/FM radio are still free here. I used to like the selection of music I got on XM, but not so much anymore. I find I listen to almost all AM or my own CDs, so there really isn't much point to keep the XM.

Sillyak, hopefully it's all done now, but we'll see if the folks in India who answered the phone, actually get the service turned off.

Renie Burghardt said...

Kerfuffles? I like that word, Rudee.

Anymore, it's a pain in the hiney to try communicating with any company by phone.

I like my free AM-FM radio in the car, too.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

You got synch'ed.

Joanna said...

A funny post. I share your frustration with the call service centres all over the world. But the Ford Focus is a great car. I just got one about a month ago, three years old and I just love it. It's the first Ford I've ever owned--and the first car with power windows and locks. Yeah! BTW--congratulations to your daughter with her new restaurant.

Brenda said...

I had a loner car for a day a while back that had that radio. I loved it...but would not pay for it unless I won the lottery. I wouldn't even have cable if my husband didn't want it. I also still have a cassette tape for a car luxury. I am way behind the times.
Don't be surprised if you start getting phone calls from collection agencies. It seems to be where all the jobs are these days. Everyone I know just about is being bugged by them, whether you have an outstanding bill or not.
I used to be one of the first to comment on your blog and now I am the last.....sigh.
I have a new computer that has Vista and I keep clicking off and the I get frustrated because...old habits are hard to break and the new warnings, etc on this one are driving me bonkers...

Darci said...

I can sympathize with you, when we moved, they didn't close our internet and phone service account, I think my husband called twice and I called once. Which reminds me. I should call and make sure it's really closed. Hopefully you get it all sorted soon.

sandy said...

HAHAH, you write so funny and enjoyable...