Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Little Sweetness


The maintenance men have come and gone.  Today they elected to re-caulk everything in the shower to see if this stops the leak.  Far be it from me to point out they've already tried this, so we'll have to wait and see if a redundant repair effort makes a difference.  They told me they'd have to bid on repairing the drywall in the kitchen to see if the owner wanted to repair this, too.  That's when I got a bit cranky.  Let's examine this, shall we?  Unsightly hole in the ceiling aside, I've learned that the following equation, Moisture + Darkness = excellent environment for mold.  Oh, I think it'll be repaired alright, and before they get another rent check out of me.  The repairman was kind enough to treat the space with a mold killer while the owner sits on his ass makes up his mind. 

On to more pleasing subjects...


The knit a long (KAL) is in full swing over at Sticks on Fire.  To date, only 3 of us are knitting including, Rose, Stephanie and myself.  It could be that Jane is still awaiting a yarn shipment across the pond.  I didn't read the pattern for the sweater Rose and Stephanie are knitting, but reports from the trenches are that it's a bit of a challenge.  Mine was a challenge too, until Stephanie pointed out I was reading the set up row directions backasswards.  After that, it's been smooth sailing.  Thanks Stephanie!


I'm closing in on the half way point of the Every Way Wrap from the fall issue of Interweave Knits.  I selected Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn which is amazing.  Initially, I was going to knit from stash, but this is so much better.  Stitch definition is amazing.  Stitch repair?  A challenge, but not as much as it would be with a different yarn.  I was whipping along this morning when I noticed my stitch count on the wrong side of the cable portion was off by one.  I flipped the piece over and could see where a knit stitch had dropped about 4 rows down--through cabled portions--and was just sitting there awaiting my notice.  I got the message loud and clear:  Time for a lifeline!

On Friday, my brothers and I are leaving for the mountains.  It's been almost a year since I've seen them and can't wait to get there!  I've a few things on the to-do list before then.  I have to wade through my stash to find 2 skeins of DK weight yarn and some size 6 needles for the class Mareseatoats and I are taking on Saturday, and I need to pack.  That would necessitate me washing clothes first (this may be a good thing since I'm running out of clean underwear).

I think I may finally have to go back in that basement where the washer and dryer live.  I hope there won't be any showdowns with multi-legged creatures and I hope none of those baby wolf spiders are hiding in the suitcase I used to smash their mother.  Honest.  I fear divine retribution in the form of spider bites.


10 comments:

Brenda said...

I noticed your vacation clock when I arrived here and saw that you are just one day away. Sounds like you are going to have some get-away-fun. We have had a nightmare with those plumbling problems in our house, and big bucks shoveled out to repair them. I know from experience that simple caulking is not always the answer. The mold is disgusting and the one thing that kills it, is good old fashioned strong bleach.
The knit along will be fun to follow. Keep us up to date with photos while you are on your trip. Have a great time!

Jane said...

Looks like you are making great progress. I've got yarn today-yippee. I ended up gettinng a substitute and hope it will be ok.Have a wonderful time away, you deserve it

NCmountainwoman said...

Have a wonderful trip. Lovely knitting piece. I love the color as well.

Stephanie V said...

I was just wondering this morning about what your wrap looked like. You read my mind and here is a picture. It looks great! I love that blue. And you could be wearing it soon. Have a great vacation... you deserve every restful moment.

Rose said...

Your wrap is beautiful! Have fun on vacation. You certainly deserve one! I'm going to try and post the ten rows of knitting I've done. It may be small but it's something! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful color and the pattern looks tough, what do I know? Glad you are gonna get a vacation. I posted my trip to Jamaica today. Hope you get to see it before you leave. You can handle the spiders.
QMM

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, the wrap looks lovely!

If by some chance, some baby wolf spiders make it to the mountains with you, they might enjoy living there! Hehe.

Have a wonderful time, Rudee!

Darci said...

Maybe they will get the ceiling fixed while you are hiding in the mountains?
Safe travels to the basement :)

Jane said...

Great progress. Adore that shade of blue too.

sandy said...

How fun to spend time with your brothers. Hope your trip is great.
Plumbing problems, ...oh...we had to replace lines to our septic years ago and what a mess outside that created.