Monday, September 21, 2009

This Old House


In the spring, we weathered a big move into a much too small house. There have been electrical problems with loose wiring (the electricity in the house was redone after the owners had a catastrophic fire last year and should have been up to snuff) on two separate occasions. We've had a porch invaded by wasps that Bill the bug killer, well, killed. I've personally demonstrated that I can kill bugs myself with the murder of an entire family of wolf spiders on my hands. That one was totally unexpected as I did not expect to be killing more than one spider at the time. Who knew I had it in me? Just to make life more exciting, I've killed a total of 6 wasps that despite windows being closed (because they're painted shut), have found their way into my knitting room. Let's just say that I owe my sanity to Raid.


The latest problem to emerge in this 96 year old home is a leak in the bathroom upstairs. I had no clue it was there until the drywall seam above the kitchen sink lifted and a constant drip, drip, drip of water occurred with each shower. Being responsible tenants, we called the leasing company immediately. The maintenance man came out and caulked the shower, but I knew in my heart that this was not the issue. Sure enough, the leaking continued, and we continued to call the management company. The drywall above the kitchen sink is no longer firm, having a texture more like sponge, and a hole has formed for easy escape of the water building up behind it.

These homeowners--thank God it's not us--have no exterior access to the upstairs plumbing. Since the bathtub has jets, it's obvious to me that there have been upgrades since 1914 and it's perplexing why a prior owner hasn't left an access. What a nightmare this repair is going to be for the current owner. Again, not us.

As renters, we're scouring the MLS postings for homes to buy and counting the days until this lease is finished. I'm thankful we signed a contract for just one year and not 18 months as the owner had wanted.

It won't be long until I get to entertain you with another home search. Gee, won't that be exciting? We still can't settle on any one area, though I do like the town where we live. Walking to town for dinner, shopping, knitting and getting my hair done has its charm and value. It's still a bit expensive here and these old homes may look nice, but eat a lot of money. I wouldn't want to live right downtown, either, mainly because of the Wednesday through Saturday nightclub and bar issues that occur at 2 AM. There is a house available on the east side of town that's on a canal leading into Lake St. Clair. I'm hoping to stay in the middle of my hospice territory with just a smidge more property and house. I'd like a small farm that could sustain a few animals and a D.O.G. It's past time for us to have a dog or two again.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you can come up with something. I keep hearing things are better with the prospects to buy a home. I'm sure you want to stay in your area where you work. The mileage can get pretty bad if not. My daughter, a social worker and myself have both worked for home health, out in the field.
QMM

Stephanie V said...

A small farm sounds nice...with a dog, even better. Town living has its advantages though. We find that the older we get the better living within walking distance of a town or village, the better.
And old houses? Forget it. That's a young person's game - with or without that big pot of money.

Darci said...

We had the same issue with the bathroom downstairs, because the upstairs toilet was leaking, Not fun. Hopefully they will be able to get this all sorted out for you soon. Have fun with the hunt :)

Brenda said...

You searching for some new digs will be fun for us bloggers. I think it is interesting to see what is out there, especially in areas that are so far away from my little area. Sounds like you will have a couple of months to do some looking. A farm house is my dream also....

Jeannette StG said...

For your job I hope you'll find something in the area:) Hope you can find something you'll like! Whether it's old or new!

Jane said...

Hope the househunting goes well. I know what leaks in the ceiling are like. We've had one too and have had to patch up our roof. Finger's crossed it works!

Jane said...

I always fancied a farm, somewhere the boys could run out safely

NCmountainwoman said...

Thanks goodness that house isn't yours. Sounds like a nightmare.

Silliyak said...

Don't let it drip on your computer!

Celia said...

I hope you get something you really like.

Rudee said...

Sillyak, you can't kill a dead computer. Sniff. After a useless trip to the Apple store sometime this week, I will be writing an obituary.

clairedulalune said...

Hello Rudee! Best of luck with your house search! The house by the canal sounds lovely!

Lisa L said...

Every family needs a dog. I am so happy that you're ready for another..and goood luck with the house hunting..hope it goes well.

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, well, I guess old houses, like old people, develop all kinds of problems. Hope you find a great house, where a doggie or two can romp in the yard, and you can knit and spin contentedly, without water dripping on your head, and spiders and wasps invading your peaceful domain, etc.

Huggies, poor Rudee!

debra said...

trying to think of something to say but I can't, so here is a stone (o)
to let you know I've been here

Gail said...

I have just the dog you need!

Meet you halfway!

Rudee said...

Oh no, Gail! I simply couldn't take Gypsy away from you. You belong to her and nobody else will do. Ha.

sue b said...

Don't you need some sheep on that farm???

Rudee said...

Sue, why yes, I think I do. Baah.

laurie said...

ah, i hadn't realized you were renting. good deal. that's definitely doing to be an expensive repair.

we have an old house, too (1912) and the "charm" is in the cracks and creaks. about 10 years ago the toilet overflowed (with clean water; go figure) and water started dripping through the ceiling onto the dining room table.

we ended up with a hole in our dining room ceiling that it took us years to fix. (mainly because we didn't know how, and we didn't know of any reputable handymen.)

in the interim, when we had company, doug would stuff a monkey puppet into the hole, with just its head hanging down.

it was quite amusing.