Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fairwell


Opening up my work email today, I found a wonderful note about Ruby from a coworker. She had been to the fair on Sunday and was surprised to see my name on the shawl. It was the reminder I needed to run down to the fairgrounds to pick Ruby up and deliver her to the yarn shop. I was a little sad when I left because the state has withdrawn funding for the fair (the country's oldest state fair) and this may be the last one for awhile, maybe forever unless a benefactor steps forward. I think that's unlikely. I thought I'd share a few photos I took this past week.


When we walked the 2005 Breast Cancer Three Day, the fairgrounds were where closing ceremonies were held. We heard a lot of people plan on where they'd meet up that day if they were separated, and "meet me by the stove" was a frequent refrain. You really can't miss this.


It would be nice to see a return of a bull market. Since Michigan won't be needing their bull mascot, maybe we could send it to Wall Street.


This was some sort of insane ride apparatus. Though I'd never get on a ride like this, I can't help but think that the photo composition is pretty fabulous. I can't remember if I took this with the Sony or the Nikon, but I have a feeling it was probably the latter.

When my husband and I were leaving today, we took the opportunity to drive around the fairgrounds. The Budweiser trucks were there to pick up their Clydesdale horses. They were pretty spirited and I regretted leaving my cameras behind. Most of the rides were packed up and leaving and the fair was beginning to look desolate. I'm hoping that somehow, the state will find the money to keep this going, but I do understand the need to withdraw the funding. In a state that has had to lay off employees due to lack of assets, we need to be reasonable about what can stay and what has to go and right now, I think it's the fair.

I wonder what they'll do with this land? JL Hudson donated this property for fair use. If it's sold to be just another strip mall, that will be a shame.

At the community arts center this morning, I ran into the woman from the fair who'd called me about the man who wanted to buy my shawl. She told me it would be her favorite fair story for the year. I just hope that next year, we can get her a new story to tell.


12 comments:

Gail said...

It is sad to say American traditions seem to be disappearing rapidly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. You already know that I'm a big fan of my state fair, and I hate to see anyone losing theirs.

Hmmm...why don't you schedule time off before Labor Day next year, come to MN, and Laurie and I will take you to our Fair???

Celia said...

I'm hoping you get to keep the state fair.

sandy said...

We're going to our County Fair today. My favorite sections are the art, the quilts and even the table setting section. Do you have that at your fair. They come up with the most elaborate graceful or comical settings.

I haven't heard anything about our fair being "threatened" with lack of funding yet.

Stephanie V said...

They call our Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver a 'Fair' but it stopped being that a long time ago. When they took away all the quilts, the jams and jellies and the knitting, I kind of lost interest. We still go once every few years but now it's for the young folks who want the rides. We still have the 4H club kids and their animals, though, which is nice.
Hope you get to keep yours as it is.

Jane said...

Sorry to hear about the fair. Our Evergreen State Fair is alive and strong and full of local knitters. Long may it continue!

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh no! Not the State Fair! Let's hope something comes up soon to keep this tradition going.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh I am sorry to hear that. We have had some things in Ky. threatened but sometimes things or monies come up to keep it going. We almost lost Thunder over Louisville due to the sponsor backing out, but someone took up the slack. Hope that happens for you folks. I loved my trip to Michigan. I better post it before everything changes.
QMM

Pyzahn said...

Hey....those Clydesdales are from my neck of the woods!

Darci said...

I'm crossing my fingers that next year things will be better money wise, and the fair can continue maybe on a smaller budget though.

Joanna said...

I love the Garland stove. State fairs are such a wonderful tradition. We have one here in Saanich that seems to be going strong. I always enjoy the quilts and the pies and the vegetables, and the bunnies.... I could go on. I hope that yours finds a way to keep going.

Miss T said...

Sorry to hear your fair is having trouble. Fairs should be eternal!