Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Art of Avoiding the Inevitable

Otherwise known as procrastination...


There aren't enough words in the world to express how thankful I am that this weekend is FINALLY here. My plane leaves tomorrow at a very civilized 10 AM. My husband is driving us to the airport so we don't have to contend with parking and then schlepping our bags through the lots, on and off transport vans, etc.

To update you on the laundry situation (as if you cared), I now have clean panties and hand knit socks. The jeans are in the washer and on my next trip downstairs, I plan on taking the Dyson to deal with the spider webs I found down there. The main idea is to vacuum the murder weapon before I bring it up and put clean undies inside. In my heart of hearts, I'm hoping that spider infanticide was complete when I butchered the mother and that without her, the wee ones that got away did not survive. Call me heartless, but I got a clear picture of what they planned on being when they reached adulthood, and really, I should be a decorated hero. If you call me out on this, I will post a picture of mom on my blog. Fair warning.

I called the Charlottesville yarn shop to find out what I should bring. Directions stated US size six needles to make a sock or a pouch, but they didn't indicate straights, circs or dpns. I can bring whatever I'd like, and of course, if I forget something, they'd be happy to sell me what I need. They're so excited that at least 2 of us are traveling by plane to come to their big event. I didn't have the heart to tell them the big event was an afterthought when we realized that hey, we're going to be there this weekend, and look what's going on at the yarn store! Sweet! I won't burst their bubble.

Obviously, I've procrastinated enough and have to tackle those spider webs. In fact, I saw the one on top of the hot water heater is bigger today than it was yesterday. Does my arachnophobia really shine, or what?

I won't be posting this weekend because I've no laptop. Sniff. Maybe that's not such a bad thing for a complete getaway. See you all Tuesday or Wednesday.

17 comments:

The Crusty Crone said...

See you on Tuesday or Wednesday?! That looooong? Sigh. I guess this is where I should wish you a good trip and lots of fun. You're going to miss up terribly.

The Crusty Crone said...

uh oh... ? You're going to "miss up terribly?" What kind of language is that?. Don't take it as a omen. Just change it to 'miss US terribly.'

Stephanie V said...

I wish you success with the Dyson and that you find only webs. Webs are almost like knitting and so are friendly encounters.

Have fun knitting and buying (you know you will).

Jane said...

Have a lovely time and come back completely rested.
Got the yarn for the KAL, got my mag and found I have none of the circular needles required! Back to town again

NCmountainwoman said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Be safe, be happy. Have a great time.
I don't blame you on the procrastination issue.
QMM

Jane said...

Safe trip, Rudee. Come back refreshed and I wish I was with you at the yarn store. All that yummy yarn! Mmmmmmmm!!

Rose said...

What is the shop in C-ville? I'm driving through there to get to Blacksburg on Saturday and may need a quick break :)

Rudee said...

Rose, the shop is The Needle Lady in downtown C-Ville on the mall. I'll email you my cell phone number!

Samantha said...

I'm a little curious about the spiders! (Please don't throw tomatoes at me everyone!!)

Silliyak said...

Seems like someone form Charlottesville should have had some advice on spiders. Maybe if you asked them on the web?

Rudee said...

S and S,

Last week, I killed a spider. When I smashed it in the basement with my empty suitcase, a whole bunch of baby spiders scattered from their mom's body. I had no clue this spider carried its young on its body. It was a wolf spider. Google it at your own risk. I'm still not over the ordeal. Obviously.

Unknown said...

I'm late. You've left. Have a great trip and a happy homecoming:>)

Lisa L said...

have a fun, wonderful time!

Miss T said...

Have a lovely time!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great weekend. Love your photo.. AND your yarn on your header makes me think of 50/50 bars when I was a kid.. They make it with Vodka now.. TGIF.. I tried knitting this summer.. It looks awful and Sabby's moving out of the cold in a few weeks anyway. So... Hope you're doing well.

peggyln said...

VACATION!!! Yea, have a great time. We'll still be here when you get back. It's good to go offline for a short break. Take pictures!