Monday, November 3, 2008

Word of the Day


gauntlet

noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Middle French gantelet, diminutive of gant glove, from Old French, of Germanic origin; akin to Middle Dutch want glove
Date:
15th century

1 : a glove worn with medieval armor to protect the hand
2 : any of various protective gloves used especially in industry
3 : an open challenge (as to combat) —used in phrases like throw down the gauntlet
4 : a dress glove extending above the wrist

Definition is from Merriam-Webster On Line


Now, you may have been slightly led to believe this is a post about knitting. Nope. It's a post about definition number 3 as I prepare myself to do my civic duty this week. There is one thing I totally despise and that's the running of the gauntlet of last second politicians hoping to secure my vote as I walk into the polling booth. If it's anything like in the past, there will be people standing outside the elementary school handing out emery boards, fliers, brochures, candies, pretzels and lip service. This will all be in an attempt to be sure their names are the last I recall as I enter to place my ballot. It's as though they believe I'll forget the name of the candidates I'd like to see win and only recall those who've tried to entice me at the last minute. I always keep my head down and plow right through these campaigners-unless they're handing out red licorice. I can't resist the red licorice.  Oh the shame of it!  Selling my vote for a rope of red candy.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

HAHAAHA....Yes they are annoying. Such trickery up their sleeves Trying to shout those names out, so they cling in our brain cells. I had forgotten about that.
My last day of constant phone calls warning me against the evils of the "others". YEAH!!!!

Rudee said...

Brenda, I may do like Pooh Bear and stuff my ears with fluff. Nobody will know since I'll be wearing my hat!

Rositta said...

Rudee, somehow I doubt even red licorice will change your mind. Our elections are so tame in comparison to the American ones. I'm certain you will know exactly what to do tomorrow licorice or not...ciao

flydragon said...

If anyone's passing out Hershey Bars, I'm in trouble.

sandy said...

well, that rope of red candy sounds great, I may find myself "bought"...

ha

Gill - That British Woman said...

I always keep my head down and plow right through these campaigners-unless they're handing out red licorice. I can't resist the red licorice. Oh the shame of it! Selling my vote for a rope of red candy.

I found that funny!!!

Gill in Canada

Betty F said...

LOL Rudee! That's GREAT. I like Red Licorice too!.
I'd take the candy and vote for the guy you like! :) Happy Voting Day!!!