Friday, April 18, 2008

Mystery Solved


This is such a cute picture.  What a sweet little face and so peaceful.  What can't be seen in this photo is me, sleeping just as hard.  This dog is exhausting.  She is non-stop all day long.

I owe an apology to the men-folk too.  They were outsmarted.  She is an escape artiste extraordinaire.  Magnificent really.  Today, I let her out and she showed me how she did it.  I opened the door and she left.  I was waiting for the old man to follow her out and he was being mopey and slow.  Thirty seconds later, I realized she was nowhere in the yard.  I whistled, walked to the gate and there she was.  On the outside of the locked gate.  I told her to get back in the yard and the little devil CLIMBED the fence.  Like a monkey.  Like a cat.  Like a human being.  Like she did nothing wrong-just business as usual. I am in serious trouble here.

She has outwitted me and may need to go back to a safer environment.  I am admitting defeat in the face of such awesome prowess.  There is no way I can get this girl to stop behaving like this.  I am out a small fortune already which I don't mind spending.  A new crate and toys and a visit to the Vet has tapped me.  The sad thing is she is healthy.  No heartworm.  No fleas/ticks.  Healthy, young and gentle. I'll be sick with worry each time she takes off.  I don't think I can do this.........

I am open to discussion and ideas on how to keep such a beast in an urban environment. Does anybody have any ideas?

8 comments:

willowtree said...

That's a real shame. You may be able to train her not to go over the fence, but I doubt it.

Rudee said...

Someone has suggested a shock collar to use to attempt to teach her this is wrong. However, since her instinct is to tree animals, how can I stop her from jumping up against a tree or fence? It's her nature. I'm not sure it'll work. And I'm not exaggerating about the 30 seconds. Wham. Gone. In the meantime, I'm listing her on all the internet lost and founds for pets. I'm hopeful she ran away since she keeps trying to do this.

Anonymous said...

Try using a lead. You can secure the holder in the ground. Just make sure it is not too long. Don't want her going over the fence with it and hanging herself.

Rudee said...

Repeat...

You're right anon, I don't want her to hang herself. I'll think about this option because it may work but won't really solve the behavior. What worries me is she did this w/me pretty much right there with her.

risiko said...

woops!
sounds like you need 'the dog whisperer' http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
he has books and a tv show.they have helped immensely with my dogs. you need to claim the fence as your territory and train her not to go near it. (ditto on the yarn) he's on the national geogeaphic channel.
i have a hound experiment too, he's a doberman/coonhound and he bays---and a really fun dog. i think jezebel is gorgeous and she will catch on to what you expect of her, as long as you learn to communicate in her language. i have faith in both of you. a shock collar is a last resort and must be used properly. perhaps there is a trainer in your area that can assist you.
iris

Rudee said...

Iris,
Thanks for the reminder. I've seen Cesar's shows and I agree it may be worth a shot to try to train her in this method. She is sweet, somewhat pushy but she needs to learn her boundaries. I've never had such a time with a dog. I have a dobie who was quite asy to train..... Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

We installed an electric fence. When chip and chubby were pups. They learned their boundaries rather quickly. They were showed the boundaries; flags; walking/sound etc. The collar sounds a warning several feet infront of the shock zone it intensifies as the dog gets closer to the zone, if they violate the zone.They get zapped a couple of times, once when they leave, once when they get back. within weeks the collars were non existent. The boys stay in the yard, rarely going beyond zones.

FTM

Rudee said...

A dog that knows boundaries, huh. I'll think about this option FTM. How much was this set up? Email me. Rudee.
ps---going to VA on Friday. Can't wait. THinking of driving thru southern route as a challenge and an opportunity to try the $10,000 coffee pot.