Sunday, August 1, 2010

In a mood

Tomorrow I begin a transitional work program designed to make me never report another back injury get me up and in the proverbial saddle, so to speak. I will file or perform some other seated task for 8 hours straight. By the end of my day, my back will be all better and once again, I'll be capable of single handedly picking people up off the floor.

Cooking dinner this afternoon, I decided to listen to Quadrophenia while I sliced, diced and tossed everything together. Leo and Rachel are most excellent mooches and Leo would like you to know that Sugar Babies are his favorite type of watermelon. The rest of the menu is burgers, grilled bread salad, corn on the cabibble (as I like to call it), and cheesy potatoes. The melon is for dessert. I'll sprinkle mine with sal de mer while others will watch and grimace in disgust. So sue me...I like salt on my sweet watermelon.

Anyways, while cooking, one thought led to another and I began to recall a weekend in coastal Georgia some 8 years ago. It was right after I'd lost my dad and I'd accompanied my husband to a training agency for federal employees. During the day, he'd train and I'd mosey down to the beach, pop on the Bose head phones and listen to, The Who. At night we'd go out and eat the most excellent crab cakes I've ever had in my entire life.

Most people know bits and pieces of, Quadrophenia, but not much more than the singles like, Love, Reign o'er Me, or 5:15. If you've never listened to this work as a whole, you should give it a try. It really is a remarkable work of art.

Now, if you only have some Bose head phones, a nearby beach and some crab cakes handy, you'll get the whole picture.


6 comments:

Gail said...

I'll be right over for lunch!

SkippyMom said...

I love, love, love salt on watermelon. But, um. no.no. anymore :( We have been getting some candy like watermelons here lately - they are so freaking good.

And corn on the cabibble? Is now in the pond's venacular. Thanks for the smile.

Your dinner sounds so yummy. [our dogs are veggie lovers too! Spot is a whore for celery and onion - I don't know what to do with that damn dog. lol]

Enjoy. And I'll be carpooling with Gail. :)

PS [don't laugh] no I did not get that damned hot dog AGAIN. lol don't ask why.

Stephanie V said...

Crab cakes and the Who sound like a perfect way to enjoy the beach!
I used to know folks who put salt on their apples which I thought was a bit odd...but I was a smalltown kid.
And we had a cat once who loved cantaloupe. Would actually jump up steal it off the counter.

BTW, that little gd of mine steals everyone's heart. Thanks for being a softie like the rest of us.

sandy said...

Yeah, I remember that song, it's been a long time since I heard it.

Well heck, I hope your back holds up and is better than before.

Dinner does sound good. We just got back from our son's wife's family who made a delicious tofu lasagna..yum - it was good.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever listend to 5:15 with headphones? You can hear doors closing!

Darci said...

Thanks for expanding my musical horizons. Good luck with rehab :)