Saturday, March 27, 2010

Odds and Lots of Ends


Though the sun is deceptively bright in the sky, it's still bitterly cold here in Detroit. If moving hadn't gotten in my way, I would have been able to wear my Icelandic sweater this weekend. I finished the body this morning, but ran out of time to get the button bands done. It's ready to steek though--just as soon as I knit both button bands, the neckband and weave in all of those ends. Those thousands of little ends seem to be what I find most daunting right now. I'm a little sorry I didn't rip it back to fix my color chart mistakes, but I think with a little duplicate stitching, I can achieve the effect I want to see. I think there should be a small pattern of white stitches right in the middle. Or not. We'll see when it's all done.

Gosh, I love, love, love this sweater!!!

I'm still in the throes of unpacking and getting my life in order. Last night, we took a break and went up to the bar to watch Michigan State send Northern Iowa back from whence they came on giant television screens. The place was packed to the rafters with revelers singing the Michigan State fight song. Weaving is going a little slowly this afternoon, and all due to a little too much revelry on my part and way too much of the Belgian ale. Is it just me, or does everyone think those boys from Iowa are a little big? I think they've been eating too much corn. They looked like giants against Michigan's players, but that only shows to go ya that size isn't everything, especially when your star player is benched with injuries. I'm going back to the bar tomorrow afternoon to watch them play Tennessee (be still my heart...did they really beat Ohio State?).

I plead the Fifth on whether or not that's all yarn in the knitting room.

After living a year in a neighborhood where neighbors didn't speak to one another, so far I've met Richard next door, Katy across the street who teaches emotionally impaired Detroit students (either she's brave, foolhardy, a mix of both or a saint), the other lady across the street who is on the city council in my town, and 95 year old Roy. Or Ray.

Where in the hell did I put my bed?

Roy (or Ray), walked up my steps and presented me with a loaf of freshly baked bread and Scottish shortbread that he had baked himself. He was wearing a Tartan plaid hat but denied he was of Scottish heritage. I forgot what he said his name was, because I was overwhelmed by the loaf of the still-warm bread he handed me and more importantly, his kindness. His neighborliness warmed my heart, but that bread? That bread melted it. Roy (or Ray) told me this is a tightly knit little neighborhood where everyone looks out for each other. He made our house feel even more like home.

Now here is a picture of what I'm desperately trying to avoid, but this sweater has lots of ends I've got to get rid of before I can cut it open. Go ahead and click on that picture to get a better idea.

A note on the photos: they're all taken by my computer. For some reason, the camera transfer cord is still MIA. It's probably packed in with the yarn somewhere even though I swore I had packed it with the phone charging cords, and they're both where they're supposed to be.

A note on the sweater: I wear a size large sweater. I love the room and I love to layer. A size small in this sweater had a 44 inch bust which is something I don't have, and never did have, except maybe when I was nursing. Even then, I don't think I reached a size 44, but I had plenty of cleavage and could finally fill out a bra. Nowadays, I'm lucky to fit in a mostly an A, but nearly B cup, and my bust size is a 38. A lot of the other women in my class knit the large and I saw one today that looked so big on the knitter. I knit the small, and I'm so glad I did. Even though it's a small, this has lots of positive ease and plenty of room to spare.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are getting there. Into the house is a biggie. Sounds like a great neighbor what ever his name is. Fresh baked bread now that is a neighbor. We are out tonight to surprise our daughter for her 40th birthday. Her husband is having this dinner party at one of the nicest restaurants in Louisville. She has no idea. At least she is not supposed to know.
QMM

Rose said...

Rudee, that sweater is amazingly beautiful. I love it. I don't envy you the unpacking, but how nice to already meet some friendly neighbors!

unmitigated me said...

I've never minded unpacking, as much as I hated packing. You need someone there to move the boxes out of the way and keep the wrapping under control. I am a willing volunteer, if you are feeling overwhelmed...or just whelmed!

unmitigated me said...

Oh, and what about a little row of gray or white celtic knots, that you could attach after the fact? Just shows to go ya...my mom and dad always said that!

Rudee said...

QMM, I hope your daughter is surprised and you all have a great time.

Rose, I can't wash it until Wednesday (when the appliances come), but I'm going to try to finish it all by then.

MAW, my Dad used to say that all of the time. As for unpacking, I've cleared most of the living spaces and plan on unpacking a box or two a day. That should help.

Silliyak said...

Can't beat good neighbors. Of course, if you beat bad neighbors there could be charges filed. But I digress. Glad to hear you have a nice neighborhood.

Lisa L said...

your new 'hood. it sounds wonderful. i love community, and that safe feeling of friendly, concerned neighbors...all of whom look out for each other. rudee...so happy for you and yours. get the gate soon..your boy needs a dog ;)

Jane said...

I am so pleased you have lovely neighbours, makes a big difference. That sweater looks sooo cosy

Gail said...

It is delightful when you have good neighbors.

Love the sweater, still envy your extreme talent.

Wanting to see your home, perphaps to see if there is a place for a lady in a turban.

laurie said...

i can't believe you made that yourself.

your neighborhood sounds terrific. i just finished reading a book about neighborhoods--by a NYTimes writer, who decided to get to know people in his high-end but very unfriendly neighborhood by doing sleepovers at their houses. what a great idea.

Rositta said...

I would love to make a sweater like that and someday I will but definitely without the steeking. I'm glad you are in a friendly neighbourhood,there is nothing better. Ours is like that too and there are 7 of us who watch each others back so to speak. Makes you feel right at home...ciao

Celia said...

Moving is sooo stressful.

Jane said...

The sweater is a triumph and the neighbourhood sounds pretty awesome too!

Joanna said...

Sounds like you've moved into an excellent neighborhood. I hope your unpacking goes well.

Michaela said...

Wow I love the finished sweater! U r SO clever, girly. Glad you have lovely naighbours. xx

Ruth said...

Good neighbours - that sound so great.
Jumper looks fantasitc will be a great cardigan.
Ruth

SkippyMom said...

A 44" chest in a small? In whose world? Amazonia? I understand the need for extra room to layer, but seriously? That is a lot of room.

I love wearing Pooldad's big ol' sweatshirts and stuff - but if I had to find a sweater I would be comfortable in a medium - and my chest is a 34 B [maybe?] Ain't nothing to write home about that is for sure!

The lil' peeks of the new home are so enticing - I LOVE them. I want more :D

Brenda said...

My blog still is acting weird. I am unable to view the photos on your blog or anyone elses. But...sounds like things are coming along nicely, and it is so great to have nice neighbors. I don't think I have ever lived anywhere where someone brought food over. I used to think that would be a great thing to do for a new neighbor, but the best I have accomplished is to introduce myself and tell them to let me know if I can do anything to help.

Stephanie V said...

How did I miss this post?
Your new neighborhood - and the neighbors sound fantastic! How nice is fresh bread? Wow.

And wow for the sweater, too. I don't envy you all the end-weaving though. It's one of the reasons I don't do a lot of Fair Isle.

Good luck unpacking the yarn.

ztoamom said...

I bet he is Roy - as in Rob Roy. Love those Scots - hospitality in the flesh. I married one of 'em, lassie, and it was a very smart move.

Miss T said...

Beautiful work on that sweater!