Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Full Moons


Sunday may have been the date for the full moon, but last night's moon was extraordinary. When it first arose above the bleak Detroit winter landscape, it was hanging low in the sky--a bright yellow globe that looked surreal. I ignored what it meant for the hospice night call and went about my evening.

The next time I saw the moon was nearly midnight. It was higher in the sky, no longer looking full, but just as pretty even if it was no longer yellow. It was white. I was driving home from a very odd visit, speaking with my east side counterpart on my cell phone (hands free, of course), and I just kept driving. Before I hung up the phone, I realized I hadn't driven home at all. I'd driven 13 miles further east to Rachel's house.

I'm sure it wasn't the distraction of the call or the autopilot imprint of driving to Rachel's home for 15 years in a row, but the allure of the moon that dragged me so far. I'm glad I snapped out of the trance before I drove another 13 miles east and landed in Lake St. Clair.

Oh. I almost forgot. I met a person last night who has been knitting for about 85 years. She kept saying, "now what was I making here? I forget." I was charmed. Don't think she won't get a skein of my handspun.




16 comments:

Ari_1965 said...

Super photograph.

Jane said...

What a fabulous photo, there is something about a full moon

Stephanie V said...

I'm glad that 'odd' and a little joyride was the worst this full moon could do.

Knitting for 85 years! Yikes! Think of all the yarn that's passed through her fingers.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. Man those full moons are something. Worked in OB for a time, they really believe in the effects of the moon.
QMM

Brenda said...

Did you capture the photo here Rudee. It looks great if you did. I have never tried to take a moon photo. I heard they are hard to capture. 85 years...wow!

Michaela said...

Its amazing to me that our moon is the same as yours. It looks exactly the same. But we are on the other side of the world and our climate is opposite to yours. Not that it should make any difference. But its hard to imagine sometimes.
Rachel, is/was she a client of yours?

Rudee said...

Brenda, I did not take the photo. I found it on wiki commons.

Michaela, Rachel is my daughter.

Stephanie, that lady kept looking at the yarn on the needles and asking what the pattern was--a k2 p2 rib--and what she was making. She was sweet and crusty all in one.

Miss T said...

Wow, 85 years! The real question is, how much stash has she used?

Jeannette StG said...

That moon is super yellow! Wow, 85 years? We're just kids, Rudee:)

Rudee said...

Miss T, I will ask to see her stash.

Jeanette--if she was ancient and still knitting, there's hope for the rest of us to get through our own stash. Considering everything, she was sharp as a tack and maybe that's all due to knitting.

Ruth said...

So - I've got to keep knitting - hte way people keep giving me yarn to turn into blankets I will never run out - but lots of people will be kept warm.
Driving when distracted is amazing you ask yourself - how did I get here i was meant to be elsewhere.
Love looking a the moon in the sky it is so amazing sometimes.

Renie Burghardt said...

Yes, the moon was magically beutiful Sunday night. I read it's called the Snow Moon.

Wow, knitting for almost 85 years! Anything that keeps one interested for that long, has got to have some value! (Just kiddin' Rudee.)

Hugs,

Renie

Rose said...

Love your medals! And the mittens are gorgeous. Glad you made it home safely.

Rositta said...

We couldn't see the moon, sadly it was too cloudy. You have to watch were you drive, especially in your city. Take care...ciao

sandy said...

What a great photo! Oh yeah, that auto pilot thing, done it many times, but the worse is wondering if I ran a light or stop sign because I didn't remember.

laurie said...

oh the moon has been so gorgeous.

i usually overshoot where i'm going when i'm preoccupied, too.