Sunday, March 14, 2010

Inertia


For some reason, I'm suffering from a profound lack of moving momentum. I just can't get myself to do much of anything to get ready to move. Yesterday, I came home from sweater class and watched Aladdin with Rachel. I didn't go downtown to see The Yarn Harlot. It was pouring cold, nasty rain and my heart wasn't in it. Aladdin proved a good alternative and Rachel was thrilled to spend the afternoon with her mom and dad.

This inertia I'm experiencing is not beneficial on the packing front. There are boxes all over the place, but nothing's in them. Nothing. Time is ticking, and to make matters worse, while I was sleeping, I lost an hour of valuable time.

So today, fully intending to shake it all off and get busy, I sat down to have a cup of coffee. Before I knew what hit me, I cast on the second sleeve for my sweater and watched Babe. If that wasn't enough, when that was over, I started the colorwork on the cuff and watched Pirate Radio.

We close on Thursday and have to be out by the 25th at the latest. I'd better get my rear in high gear, don't you think? Just as soon as I finish that second sleeve and watching Phenomenon for the 10th time.

I am nothing, if not good a procrastinator. However, as I knit away my anxieties, I'll have a cozy sweater to show for it all, now won't I?



14 comments:

Rose said...

Oh man, I recognize that state of being. Procrastination on one front always equals progress on another. For you, the sweater. I usually clean house if I'm avoiding school work. And thanks again for the probiotic advice. I think I'll take a maintenance dose for awhile as I've been having a bout of IBS the past month or so anyway, probably due to the first round of antibiotics. Makes sense.

Jane said...

When it comes to it, you will do it. Sometimes tight deadlines are what we need. We did it all in less than a week once, so I am sure you will too. Great progress on the sweater though

Anonymous said...

Time is the great equalizer. When you get down to the crunch those boxes will be filled.

As for "losing" an hour? You should've just slept in. Same thing. DLST isn't the travesty or rip off everyone thinks it is :D

The sweater looks great. I think that will be done before the packing tho' heehee

Brenda said...

I know what you mean Rudee. Little or no motivation here either. Packing would over whelm me for sure. The Sweater looks great!

Stephanie V said...

Some of us are better 'pressure' workers than others. I can't accomplish anything of quality unless I'm down to the wire. I totally get being overwhelmed by the size of the task...that sweater's lookin' good.

Gail said...

You will do this! Not a problem, all can be packed in short order and you will think, why was I worried.

We moved lock, stock, and barrel in two days one time. It was a beautiful move and so shall yours be.

Renie Burghardt said...

I'm sure you'll get on the packing soon, Rudee. Meanwhile enjoy the knitting and the movies! Blame the intertia on spring fever. I blame mine on it. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rudee you will do it. I am so amazed at your knitting I believe you can do anything. I used to be that way. In time of push I got up and got it done fast. Now I can't get up fast at all. My housekeeper missed me this two weeks so I am still procrastinating putting my Christmas decor away. Trying to make new kitchen curtains before Easter. Oh oh.
QMM

Finding Pam said...

We moved just over a year ago and it was totally stressful for me. I had thirty years of stuff to sort and give away. I say if knitting releaves stress then do it.

Your sweater is magnificent. You are so talented.

Michaela said...

You sound a little overwhelmed, Ma'am. Hence the sleeping and knitting. Maybe try to pack one room or area at a time? It might be more manageable if you arent surrounded by boxes everywhere you look. (Just thinking about it makes me tense up!) Another idea - get a friend to help decide what to throw... Hugs, Michaela

Celia said...

You're making more progress than me.

Rositta said...

Knitting is more fun than packing. It will all come together in the end. I packed up a whole house once with 48 hours notice, mind you I was a lot younger then. It's all doable, just not much fun...ciao

Miss T said...

Just think how fast you'll move once you get done procrastinating. :o)

sandy said...

Ohhh didn't realize you are moving so soon.!! Get busy girl..!