Friday, March 12, 2010

Odds and Ends

Tomorrow I have sweater school again. By that time, I should have one sleeve done and the second on the needles. I've ripped the one sleeve out twice. I'm making the small sized sweater because it's big. It has a lot of positive ease, but the sleeve size going with that sweater would only fit Twiggy. Luckily, I had only knit the cuff and was using magic loop method so I tried it on right away and felt the truth of the ill fitting cuff and out it came. I cast on the number of stitches for the large sweater sleeve, but knit the rest of it as the small. It's over my elbow now and feels fine. The cuff was the issue, but so was the cast on edge, so instead of the long tail cast on, which is tight, I used a cable cast on for elasticity. It worked. It won't match the cast on edge of the sweater, but at this point, I don't think anyone will know except me.

I haven't decided if I'll skip out of class early to go listen to The Yarn Harlot speak on Saturday. If she were anywhere else but the Detroit Public Library, I'd likely go. I go into the city enough on work time, and have no desire to go down there for this. Maybe I'll catch her next year, or maybe I'll change my mind by morning. Who knows?

On the mortgage front, we're supposed to close on the 18th, but the bank is nickel and diming us for every last scrap of documentation we can come up with. The latest is they'd like photographs of the other homes we own including Rachel's, and two investment houses. Really? Photographs? They're making us nuts. Shouldn't our consistent tax return statements be enough for them? This bank prides itself on being one of the only banks that didn't get into financial trouble because they never made subprime mortgage loans. Now I wonder if they ever made any loans at all. We're remaining hopeful and have started the monumental task of packing. Again.

Don't forget to leave a comment on Monday's post to win your subscription to Knitcircus Magazine. Comments close at midnight tonight, and the lucky winner will be chosen by Random Number Generator.

Good luck!

13 comments:

Jane said...

This is worst part of the moving process. Hopefully the paper trail will end very soon and you can concentrate on making your new house home. Enjoy tomorrow

Rose said...

Oh, go, go and take photos and tell me everything!!

Stephanie V said...

Photos? That's a strange request. I'm sure all the banks are being super-cautious now...lots of hoops.

I was thinking of you as fortunate to be in Detroit where the Yarn Harlot was speaking. Can't believe that you'd miss it.

Darci said...

If you paid for the sweater school then I would be of the opinion to not skip out :)

Rudee said...

Stephanie and Rose, I'm tempted, but gosh I wish it wasn't downtown. The parking is awful around there. I'll sleep on it tonight. She doesn't speak until one and class ends at 11. I'm sure the joint will be packed. We'll see.

I hear there will be a yarn market there. Just what I need.

Stephanie V said...

I get the downtown problem...it would slow me down here, too. But that's when I pull out the bus tickets. But, hey! no pressure. Really!

debra said...

You will know what to do when the time comes. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do tomorrow enjoy. You have more energy than I would have after working all week.
QMM

Brenda said...

Sounds a little odd to me. For them to ask for pictures. Hope you feel up for the trip to see the Yarn Harlot. Maybe you could carpool with some of the ladies from your class...meaning one of them drives you. Ha...

Rudee said...

Brenda, maybe I can get security to drive me. lol

Rudee said...

Stephanie--taking the bus in Vancouver must not be the same as taking the bus in Detroit. In fact, I'm quite sure our bus ride would be a hundred times more nerve wracking.

laurie said...

good luck with the closing! i have several friends who have purchased property in the last few months, and it's definitely more arduous than it used to be.

but in the end, they were happy. and apparently the banks were, too.

laurie said...

oh, and moving......

yeck.