Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Heart's Desire


Just once, I would like to tell my patient's families the way things really are.  For once, I want to open my mouth and have Hugh Laurie's sarcastic wit pop out and tell them what I really think.  For once I want to say, yes I know you think this is all about you, but how do you think the dying patient feels?   Do you think that would hit home for some of these people?  I doubt it.  To say it wasn't a good night is putting it mildly.  It was awful.  I was called to do a stat hospice start of care (the irony doesn't escape me), and became promptly embroiled in family drama-none of which was about the patient.  Perhaps I am a touch jaded this week.  Bring on Friday, I'm ready for a break.

photo Google images

10 comments:

Jane said...

Hope today is a better day for you and you have a lovely weekend to look forward to

Rose said...

Thinking of you and your job a lot this week as a close friend had to call hospice in for her dad. Thank you for the job you do.

flydragon said...

Well after Mr. Larger Than Life one day, the dead homeless man the next, and then the family/idiots, no wonder you're feeling a bit jaded!! Just keep thinking about the new house and the great knitting room.

Brenda said...

I agree with the other comments. Try to remember all of the people who do appreciate what you do. It would be fun to be "House" though wouldn't it?? Haha He always ends up being right also!

debra said...

I hope the weekend is a good one for you. I'm looking at about 8" of snow. did you get it, too?

Rudee said...

Thank you Miss. More snow tomorrow.

Rose-hospice is always better sooner than later.

Flydragon-I do keep thinking about that house.

Brenda-I bite my tongue often. I need to start carrying headache medicine on me!

Debra-we got almost no snow but we're getting a fresh 4 to 8 inches of snow tomorrow. I am tiring of this.

Unknown said...

You are much nicer than I am:>)...I'm looking for the legislation that allows nurses carry a taser gun on their persons. Packing even a little heat would make the day go by that much more smoothly.
"You feeling lucky today, punk? Well, are ya??"

Rudee said...

Distracted, my problem is I don't really have someone I work with to debrief. I'm solo out there and that takes a toll. I'm better today-but then I'm not working yet.

sandy said...

ohhhh ohh... Sorry to hear it was a bad night, maybe eventually you could "share" it without naming names but then I imagine you really can't for ethical reasons... I guess I'm too nosy..

hope today is better.

Betty F said...

I'm sorry; for you and the patient you cared for last night. High Drama must come with the territory. I think in every family there's some issue or another. I know there was while my mom died. Major drama. Hopefully, Monday will bring a better week.