Monday, February 16, 2009

Mama Needs a New Pair of Shoes


When all else fails, go shoe shopping.  They weren't on sale, but I couldn't resist and on Sunday, I wore my new Danskos house hunting.  When we walked into a condo, we found carpeting on the stairs that matched my new shoes.  Hmmm.  The condo was not a good match because although-carpeting aside-it was beautiful, there were 3 levels to the place.  I couldn't envision going up 2 flights of stairs to get from the garage to the kitchen.  Too bad, the place was a steal.  Three years ago, the owner bought it for $350,000 and in today's market it's selling for $185,000.  Property taxes are $8,000 a year and association fees add another $2,000 a year. I can't imagine taking such a horrific financial beating.

The best place I've seen so far was yesterday's dream home.  Do you think the leaves on the trees will muffle the sound from the freeway?  My girlfriend says I'm probably getting the dream home because I'm already imagining me and my belongings in the place.  Did I mention it's only 8 doors from a community center that has an outdoor pool and a gym?  Incidentally, it's less than a mile from my favorite yarn store.  I'll keep my mind partially open when I go see another house tomorrow afternoon.

11 comments:

Rose said...

cool shoes. I looked at some Danskos this weekend but none like those. And good luck on house hunting.

Jane said...

Love the new header. All you can do is go and spend some time up near the dream house and see if you can put up with the noise.

flydragon said...

Shoes are cool...carpeting that looks like that, not so cool.

Dream house close to zoo, pool & gym, and favorite yarn store.... could outweigh constant hum of traffic. The trees and shrubbery will mask some of the noise, and you just might get used to it so that you don't really notice it all that much, after all people live right next to airports and railroad tracks.

Rudee said...

Aren't those great shoes Rose?

Miss-my son took the photo on Saturday after a fresh snow.

Flydragon-the carpet looked pretty awful. I used to live 2 blocks from a freeway before. Same freeway, different community. This town is small, has its own police force and is close to 3 freeways for my work-albeit one of them is too close.

Anonymous said...

Love those shoes!

I gave you a Major Award on my blog today. :-)

Rudee said...

Thank you Amy. I love my new award! I promise to blog about it soon.

Betty F said...

I love those shoes! I miss the shoes I use to wear. Before falling became a way of life.
NOT in my wildest dreams could I imagine a 3 level home. We did a temporary stint in a 3 story apt/townhouse during our move to AZ and I loved living on one level when our new home was finished.
Big trees can muffle traffic.. At least according to Ground Breakers on HGTV

sandy said...

wow, 8000 in property taxes!!!!

Sounds like a good price but ....wow....

LOVE the shoes! Just love em. Nice banner too.

Rositta said...

Truthfully I liked yesterdays house a lot but only you know if you can live with the noise. Where we stay in Greece 6 buses rumble by the house every half hour all day long and there is a lot of other street noise. The first week I can't sleep but then I get so used to it when come home to our quiet neighbourhood guess what, I can't sleep for a week. Love the shoes...ciao

debra said...

"Incidentally, it's less than a mile from my favorite yarn store." that's walking distance :-)
xo

Brenda said...

So you only have about 6 weeks to find something? I remember when my daughter was looking for a place, she was able to view a lot of homes via internet to narrow the search a bit. I really hate moving...the packing and unpacking, so I will probably be very picky about the next move.