Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Case for Giant Kibble


Day 4 for us with Leo, and I'm still waiting for him to sprout horns and become the dog from hell. It just isn't happening. He's a good dog and seems to fit right in with us.

Today we went to the vet for a well doggie check and he was. Healthy. I bought a bag of kibble made by Hill's to see if the enormous size of the food would slow him down. It doesn't and he swallows the giant kibble whole. He's just a pig, but he hasn't upchucked in 2 days. I'm going to try one of those fancy contraptions you all were so kind to link me to.

Since this isn't just a blog about a dog, I thought I'd touch on the gorgeous Fair Isle sock I've been knitting.

It is beautiful.

It doesn't fit.

Before I rip it out, I'm going to wait for Stinkerbell to come over and try it on. It might fit her bony little feet. That's the problem with knitting Fair Isle in the round. One minute it fits, and the first set of decreases later, it doesn't. The yarns, even carried loosely in the back, can make such an object too snug. It's kind of frustrating, but I won't throw in the towel yet. I'm going to try the same pattern again with a heavier weight yarn like Alpaca With a Twist.

Since I'm at an impasse with the knitting, I think I'll go spin something pretty.


14 comments:

Finding Pam said...

You are so talented in knitting.

I am wondering if you can put Leo's food in a large flat pan with an edge. Today, I just placed my dog's food on the floor(about half of it) and she ate much slower that usual.

I am so happy that he does not have horns! Just love him and he will return the love back to you.

Jane said...

I've only attempted fair isle once, it got so tight I never dared try again. I admire anyone that does it successfully, it's so beautiful

debra said...

One of our rescued pups used to snarf his food down, too. And puke, and then eat it, too. A self-cleaning guy.
We tried lots of things, including wetting the food a bit, adding peanut butter, giving him little bits at a time, putting large objects in his bowl so he'd have to push them around to find the food. But I think that in the end of the end, the thing that worked the best was what my Dad used to call TOT: tincture of time. Winston now knows that no one will take his food from him. He eats if and when he is hungry---sometime all of it, sometimes not. It all works out.

Brenda said...

I bet Stinkerbell will love the socks and Leo sounds like he has warmed your heart with a love only an animal can give us. It is a special feeling isn't it...

Stephanie V said...

Hope the sock fits. It would be too bad to have to take out all that twisted yarn. I like how it looks so far.

Jane said...

Leo is gorgeous! So glad the tide is turning for you.

Anonymous said...

So, my Lass is at an impass with Knitting..are you kitting?

When at an impass, try some sassafrass! It will help your impass to pass!

Anonymous said...

Me thinks I spelled impass wrongly..what a dumb *ss!

Gail said...

How delightful, an angel for you.

I do not know about fitting but it is pretty and that counts for something.

Rositta said...

I've only tried fair isle socks once and they didn't fit either. No matter how pretty I'm simply not tempted to try again...ciao

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your fair isle troubles, but your writing about them makes me feel better about the last fair isle sock fiasco I had. You're not alone. Good luck with Leo. Out rescue puppy of a year ago has been one of our greatest joys too.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Love the socks. Can't tell you a thing about dogs though.
QMM

Anonymous said...

when is leo going to meet his cousins, Chip, Gabby and Chubby.

Miss T said...

That looks like a challenging sock.