Friday, July 31, 2009

Pigs are Flying


This has been the longest, hardest summer in a long time. I've not had a vacation since November when I took two days off and flew down to see my sister. Compared to all of my trips last year, I'm feeling, well, cranky.

My counterpart on the night shift has been on medical leave since May for knee arthroscopy and was due to come back to work the first week in July. She got a 4 week extension with a revisit to the doctor and won't be back until some time in August (if she doesn't find a way to squeak in more time). All of our contingent staff is covering her days off and there is nobody left to cover any time off for me. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if my colleague hadn't told me how much her shoulders hurt from painting her bedroom. I kind of figure if she can paint, she can work.

Yep. Cranky is the right word.

Today though, I managed to secure a 4 day weekend. I only nagged begged for a month to do this. We'll get up in the morning, pack a bag or two and then we're out of here. I'm not certain where we'll go. Kentucky sounds nice. So does northern Michigan. Toronto is too stinky with their garbage strike, but Chicago is a possibility. Maybe Cleveland and the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Anywhere but here.

Have a great weekend. See ya Tuesday.

Photo: Google Images

19 comments:

Joanna said...

I hope you have a wonderful weekend Rudee. Sounds like you're overdue for a bit of a break.

Jane said...

Have a lovely weekend, you deserve a break

Rose said...

Sounds like fun! I love the idea of just heading out with no destination nailed down. Just you and your husband, right? Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Have a great time in Anywhere-But-Here. If you drive down to Kentucky give a honk. I'll be the one waving back at you:>)

debra said...

Hey--if you decide on Cleveland with the R and R Hall--there's also the Great Lakes Science Center, University Circle with the Cleve Museum of Art and other museums +
it is 45 min from ME! I could meet you for coffee!

Brenda said...

R & R anywhere sounds like fun Rudee. Enjoy yourself. If for some reason you are driving through my area, let me know.

Rositta said...

The strike is over in T-Dot, I think. Have a fun wherever you go, too bad it's not my way...ciao

Silliyak said...

Drive carefully and enjoy yourselves.

Stephanie V said...

Good for you...just get out of town. Enjoy wherever you end up and bring back a story or two.

Devon said...

I just got back from a trip to Ohio. We stayed in Port Clinton and visited Put-in-Bay and Kellys Island. Rented bike and had a good time! Hope you enjoy your brief vacation!

clairedulalune said...

Rudee, you truly deserve this break! Enjoy it, and ask your friend to repaint your place while your gone!
See you Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Rudee! Have a wonderful time. You certainly earned it.

Renie Burghardt said...

If you wanna stay close, you can always go to Dearborn. Haha. Used to take my kids there when we lived in Cleveland and they were-well...kids. Have a great time, Rudee!

Pyzahn said...

Uh, what about a visit to the lower flatlands? We should have made that short list.

Hrrrmmmppphh.

Where ever you are/went...hope it's grand/restful.

Jane said...

Have a wonderful time Rudee. I'm off for a few days too.... at last. Haven't had a night away for 2yrs!

NCmountainwoman said...

Some folks just feel entitled to keep taking that time off. That seems an incredibly long time for arthroscopic knee surgery.

Have a great mini-vacation.

sandy said...

Gosh you deserve a break, hope you have a great time and yeah, if she can paint she can work.

laurie said...

gad, good for you! they should be looking out for you more than they are. and when your colleague returns eventually, time for you to take a month off.

in the meantime, enjoy your getaway. i think if i worked as much as you id spemd the whole four days sleeping.

good for you for making an adventure out of it.

Miss T said...

Have a great time. Chicago is lovely.