Monday, May 24, 2010

As my world turns (around)


Fight
Pronunciation: \ˈfīt\
Function: verb

intransitive verb
1 a : to contend in battle or physical combat; especially : to strive to overcome a person by blows or weapons
b : to engage in boxing
2 : to put forth a determined effort

That pin, Fight Like a Girl, is one I picked up during the San Francisco Breast Cancer 3 Day event in 2004. Of the many I've collected, it's one of my favorites. You know though, when it comes to fighting, women are often said to be guilty of fighting dirty. Most likely, the techniques we've learned were necessary for survival of what's thought to be the weaker sex. We had to fight dirty or lose.

Fight Like a Girl is going to be my new mantra and if I have to fight dirty to save my sanity, I will.

Continuing on this journey from darkness, I've come out of my corner swinging. Prior to finding those Oprah Magazine articles, I'd received an email from my daughter that had a list of things she knew I used to love to do before I fell into the abyss. She wanted me to read her list and get busy checking things off. A couple of those items we have to do together, and that's to go and see both, Shrek, and the new Sex and the City movie. She wants to see Shrek at the IMAX theater if it's playing there. Seeing a film at this theater will be something new for both of us. We're going next weekend and my son is joining us.

When I told my husband of our plans, I invited him along. There was eye rolling and moaning in response. I said, "come on, it will be F.U.N. You remember what that's like". "No," he responded, "it'll be T.O.R.T.U.R.E." Well alrighty then, I guess he'll have to entertain himself that day.

Sunday was spent pulling weeds from the garden and laying down some fresh soil to nourish the plants. In the afternoon, I sat on my porch plying wool in the summer heat and watching the kids across the street play. I don't know how many kids live in that house, but there is always a gaggle of them playing for hours out in front. Watching them play makes me smile and feel true happiness. Today, the pack leader, whom I presume is their mother, came from behind the house with her arms loaded with water balloons and a fight ensued. All of them were wet within an hour and the balloons were gone, but the play continued. Those kids don't know how lucky they are to have a mom who is so involved and always encouraging play. I don't know much about her, but I really plan to get to know her and tell her exactly what I think of her mothering skills. Those kids are going to get some home made chocolate chip cookies, and my particular recipe is to die for.

Taking stock of the past week, I think I'm making progress and while I'm not thrilled that it's Monday already, I'll look ahead to next weekend when I'll have three days to play instead of just two.

Days without Law & Order: three.

As a bonus, I've been out of my jammies by noon every day (and by 8 AM on Saturday) and I'm busy getting on with the work of the living. The sofa is quickly filling back out as the imprint of my arse is forgotten.

Life. It's good.



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your motivation. Family things are getting to me and I am using all the things I learned to try to put out. Guess It will just take some time. I will keep reading you are an inspiration.
QMM

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh i LOVE that pin! excellent mantra too! sounds like things are on the upswing...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Brenda said...

Now THAT sounds like the Rudee I have come to know over the past couple of years! Go get em Rudee. Fight like a girl! I loved your thoughts about the kids playing across the street.

Jane said...

All the kids here used the hose the other day when the water balloons had all gone. A bit of sun and they go mad.
Have a great day out with your children

Stephanie V said...

Your post reminded me of teaching my boys to dribble a basketball - in the kitchen in between jabs at the dinner cooking.

Wish I'd lived across from you when I was a kid...my mother thought chocolate chip cookies were too expensive to make.

Keep on fightin' dirty.

Silliyak said...

Hate to pee on your petunias, but I have read (but not seen) that the new Shrek is very dark in the vein of Grimms fairy tales. Please read the reviews before seeing. Glad you're getting perky again.

Jane said...

Thanks for your mantra. It's a good one. Keep on fighting your way out of the abyss. Thanks to your inspiration, I'm going to 'fight like a girl' not to fall in there too!
Hugs xx

Darci said...

The kids a crossed the street are just plain lucky to have you as their neighbour!

Rose said...

SO glad you're finding your way back and I love the pin too! I made need to make a list soon as I'm adjusting to having my stepdaughter home from college. Plus, I sometimes flounder a bit in the summer without a routine to keep me from getting blue. Good for you too for rewarding the mom/kids across the street!

Gail said...

I am still waiting for the motivation.

Michaela said...

Yeeeeha! I LOVE IT!!!!! You go, girl. Fight dirty, & grab your life back. I always say to myself, "Don't get mad; get even!" For example, ya know that Band I joined recently? I joined it because somebody put around a rumor that I was a crap trumpet player. Somebody who wanted to take some of my students, I guess; two of my students left me. I was upset & hurt. But I decided, "I WILL SHOW THEM WHO CAN play TRUMpET!" I joined the best band in the district, and the next thing I know, we are booked for a concert in Sydney Opera House. Eeek! Its more than I bargained for, but hey. Its better than sitting around being upset. Love you, Ruth! You are an inspiration to us all. ps. Hubby needs a bomb under his ass.

Devon said...

I am so proud of you! It is not easy to do what you are doing... When I get overwhelmed with kids, job, house etc... it is spider solitare.

If you can go without law and order, I can get off the computer.

Quiltluver said...

Yeah! Sounds like a winnng plan to me! Glad to hear you are feeling better. I think the beautiful weather is helping too...

Anonymous said...

Fight like a girl and keep a long wooden knitting needle handy!!!

Finding Pam said...

It is so hard to see our bloggy friends down, but it is wonderful to read that you are on top again.

You know we all support you.

My husband would say the same thing about a movie.

Keep fighting like a girl.

Ruth said...

So pleased you are coming out of that abyss - keep it up but don't get disheartened if things slide back a bit at times - you now know you can climb back up - keep fighting.
I just love watching children with parents who are good with children having good fun and the parents encouraging it especially the simple things - makes you feel that there is still a lot right with the world.
Sorry I still need my CSI, Law & Order, NCIS and HOUSE being the only medical show I watch as its so far from any truth i can cope (being a fellow nurse)But an enjoyong the Good Wife. Do you get missumer murders in the US is a UK production and slo very good dosen't have much core but interesting twists.

sandy said...

Fun fun, have FUN with your daughter and you are so blessed to have a daughter to have FUN with. Having four sons, my fun with them is listening to them talk about guy stuff.

I use to be and am one of those grammas who can't help but have fun with the kids. The other day my granddaughter and I had a goal...My Kenzie and I went on a "feather" hunt and whoever won, got a special gift. Of course she won!

I use to always play with the kids outside when they were little. We have an acre with lots of places to play hide and go seek. Somehow I don't think they remember, they never mentioned their childhood much....sons that they are...

laurie said...

love this post. love that mother. love that you are getting all feisty and happy again.