Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Apparently, I have some gaps...

I've taken my share of dream trips in the States. The best was the summer we spent in Colorado. I've got some wonderful memories from that vacation, including the very first time I donned waders and went fly fishing. I spent the whole time in the water trying halfheartedly to cast my line. Still, it was a gorgeous summer day in Aspen and what I remember most was how freezing cold that water was. In August! What I remember best was how charmed my young son was working with his guide and trying hard to learn to fly fish.

One of the trips I've always dreamed of taking is to follow Interstate 94 as it winds its way from its origin in Michigan to where it terminates in Billings, Montana. That trip alone would not only allow me to see some amazing sites, but also knock another 4 states off my list. Believe me, if I ever make that trek, I'm stopping at the place they make Mountain Colors yarn. Big surprise there.

Some of the places I've marked, I've spent only a short amount of time. For instance, I've been to Des Moines, Iowa, but only by plane. That trip is indelibly imprinted in my mind. Traveling with a 3 year old, we were diverted to Iowa and held prisoner on the tarmac for several hours because Chicago was socked in with snow. We had no food, no drink and a very cranky child to deal with. United Airlines would not allow us to disembark. By the time we reached Chicago in the middle of the night, no flights were leaving and we spent several more hours at Ohare airport with hundreds of other stranded travelers. What a wretched travel memory. So yeah, while I don't hold it against Iowa, I am going to count it in here. Been there, done that.


visited 32 states (64%)
Create your own visited map of The United States

Though my husband has been to Alaska, I have not. He has powerful memories of a trip to Fairbanks to visit family when he was just seven years old. What stood out the most was being awakened in his hotel room by the National Guard and being evacuated because of a devastating flood--he recalls the water being nearly level with his bed. The second the thing that stood out is that he loved the MREs (Meal, Ready to Eat military rations). Leave it to a little boy to be charmed by heroes in what was a terrible situation. He regrets he has no pictures of that time, but I think the ones in his mind serve him well enough and will likely be there forever.

I bring that up because over dinner last weekend, we decided we are going to take an Alaskan cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We have a year and a half to book (and figure out how to pay for it), but the planning is half the fun.

Can you guess what I'll shop for when I get there?



14 comments:

Jane said...

Wow, what a trip that will be, great way to celebrate.

Ruth said...

Sounds a great plan I doubt you will buying a bikini

Gail said...

The planning is half the fun!

Amy said...

Not to mention, Interstate 94 would take you right through Minnesota, and you could meet Laurie and me. And I could take you on a yarn shop tour--because something we have a lot of here in Minnesota, besides snow? We have yarn shops. Many, many excellent yarn shops.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

the only thing i know about an alaskan cruise is they tell me to take the inside route, it's calmer. don't know any more though. sarge wants to do this so bad but i don't, you know how i hate anything cold!

smiles, bee
xoxoxooxoxox

Celia said...

You can always come back to CO. There's great yarn here.

Unknown said...

I see you've already been to Arizona. I've always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. Will you get some musk ox fiber while there?

Stephanie V said...

So, we're just planning in reverse...I'll take your recommendation if you'll take mine.
We've been on two Alaska cruises - there are different routes and ports of call. Both trips were great. And there is yarn to tempt you.

We're planning a Grand Canyon adventure for the fall. Will there be yarn?

The Bug said...

Wow I would LOVE to do that - I know you'll have a great time.

On another note, I watched the James Taylor/Carol King retrospective the other day & that picture of you (I guess it's you?) under Rudee's Waterworks on your sidebar looks a LOT like a young Carol King :)

Anonymous said...

Alaska! As with our first date, I plan to wrestle a Grizzly Bear go gain your attention...I hear the ones in Alaska are friendly.

Anonymous said...

Alaska! As with our first date, I plan to wrestle a Grizzly Bear to gain your attention...I hear the ones in Alaska are friendly.

Rositta said...

You know, that's on my husband's wish list. I personally hate cruises, I get seasick. But you never know, maybe we will join you on that cruise. I'll start saving my money too...ciao

Jane said...

Start saving NOW! That fiber is so expensive but SO worth it.....;-)

sandy said...

wow an Alaskan cruise - how fun.

You've been around according to that map.

So did you like California?