Friday, December 3, 2010

My middle name should be, Sidetracked.


Plenty of online shopping was completed today and I await the arrival of the fruits of my labor in about 7 to 10 days. Some of it needs to be paired up for further shipping, so I hope it's closer to 7 days. In addition, I ran up to the yarn store to buy some phat yarn (Rowan Big Wool) and saw a knitted sample of these. (I can't post a picture because they'll be a gift).

I bought the yarn.

I bought the book.


I saw all of those baubles. It's part of the charm of this pattern, but as I knit another square for Haven just last Saturday, I lamented all those damned baubles and commented on how I hate to knit them.

I will not be deterred and since this pattern will be a gift for the one person in my life who loves my knitting more than me, I will refrain from calling them damned. I will knit each and every bauble with respect and affection, because in this pattern, they look like knitted love.

Top photo: The fabulous Mock Cable Hat in its initial post bath pose. What a fun pattern. I did not knit the tassel because I'm not certain the recipient would want one. It's just as cute without. Why is it I feel an overwhelming desire to keep every hat I knit all to myself?


15 comments:

The Bug said...

Love the hat! I would go with the tassel, personally. In fact, this reminds me that I need to pull out the hat that Dr. M got for himself in NYC & that I confiscated as my own (it has a tassel). I want to hide it from him so I can wear it. Which is mean because he heads north to work & I head south. :)

Stephanie V said...

Love those bobbles! I actually enjoy making them...when I was 18, I knit a cardi all in popcorn stitch for a friend. Wonder where it is now?

Your hat has turned out nicely. I agree with the tassel as optional - I'd like it if it were for me, though. Funny how attached we can become to hats (mitts and sox, too) when we don't spend near as much time with them as other items.

Jeannette StG said...

I love the collar/scarf(?) May I ask where I can get the pattern?
I already have a silk blend yarn for it:)

Celia said...

Gorgeous! You're a nice gift giver! I have to admit, I don't like to knit bobbles either.

Rudee said...

Jeanette, the pattern is in a booklet from Manos:

Manos del Uruguay Design Source Collection, Primera: Projects for Manos Silk Blend

I bought it at my local yarn store. There are 10 patterns in the booklet. If you need help locating it, I can give you the number for my LYS and you can order from her.

Rose said...

Because they are GORGEOUS, that's why!

Gail said...

...because every hat you knit is a work of art, an individual piece that cannot be duplicated. Your heart is in every piece.

Absolutely LOVE the new yarn!

NCmountainwoman said...

I'm not much of a hat person, so I have no problem giving them away. Oddly enough, the hat I wear most often is not even hand knitted. It's from LL Bean!

Unknown said...

Yes Rudee kids with grands live in indiana and they did get snow last nite and calling for more ... so of course christmas presents will be hats for boys and hats and scarfs for girls... none of the boys like scarfs. so no need to make them.. maybe once they see them they will change their minds...lol...Thanks for stopping by. Hugs from South Texas
Birgit

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you want to keep them all because they are all adorable!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Larjmarj said...

Hey! That's my middle name!? Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Online shopping is so dangerous "one for me one for you". ;-)

Finding Pam said...

I love that color of your hat. The new yarn looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the outcome.

Anonymous said...

Please stop changing the appearance of your site...it's upsetting to those of us that are odd.

sandy said...

Love the hat. I can imagine how cozy that will be to the person you give it to, ...with all the love you put in it.

Brenda said...

I thought I had commented on this post...but it disappeared or something. I love the hat and I love your new look and colors on your blog!