Monday, November 15, 2010

Dear Row 116


As much as you have tried to come between me and this stunningly gorgeous shawl, I have to say I'm ready for you. I've ripped out around 6,000 stitches and reknit most of them.

Around row 110, I fell into a rhythm and was beginning to feel over confident that once I got back to you, I could take you in a fight.

Then I recalled that I've battled you at least 8 times which forced me to re-knit this section over and over again, and I began to feel self doubt.


I did what any sane knitter would do and stuck another lifeline in at row 111. Not just any lifeline, either. I knit row 111 with a US size 6 Knitpicks interchangeable needle and left the 60 inch cable cord with dead-enders attached right where it was. Row 112 was a little tight, but I'm willing to block the hell out of this shawl to rid myself of the lifeline's temporary presence.

This way now, when I get to you and you give me another run for my life, I only have to rip to row 111, reattach the size 6 needles and get back in the fight.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. This time, I'm going to win.

Sincerely,

The Intrepid Knitting Nurse




14 comments:

Celia said...

Show him who's boss!

The Bug said...

I love how you're in control now - you will not be defeated!

Finding Pam said...

It's all about attitude! That would make me crazy, but I love to see what you have made.

Brenda said...

I wish I lived near by you, so that you could show my all of these tricks. You are my knitting idol.

Brenda said...

I forgot to ask...which room did you paint???

Rudee said...

Brenda, that would be the bathroom I knit in Rainstorm Blue. As soon as my blinds are up, I'll do a show and tell.

Stephanie V said...

Great idea! I think you're well on the way to victory.

Quiltluver said...

Wow! That's really pretty. How can you not finish such a beautiful thing? Of course you'll finish it!

Darci said...

Your tenacity blows me away. 6,000 stitches... I tired just thinking about it. It's a beauty already!

Anonymous said...

Hi...just thought you'd like to a little tip. After winding a hank of yarn into a ball, place it in a Ziploc bag and snip off one corner of the bag to pull your yarn through. Your yarn will stay clean and virtually tangle free.

Anonymous said...

Well, how about one you aren't aware of..If you purchase yarn from two different dye lots, knit 2 rows at a time, alternating yarns from the different dye lots. This will blend the variation in color and your garment will be beautiful...It' o.k to say, "I didn't know that."

Anonymous said...

O.K. I will go to the knitting well with this one...Put your mohair yarn in the freezer for a while before you knit with it. Like magic – the mohair will shed less while working with it. "You are welcome".

Jane said...

It wouldn't dare go wrong now

Unknown said...

Way to go gal. You are amazing. I did not know one could knit those types of items. I have crochet many a pineapple item, from table cloths to dollies. Hey I picked on on the tip from Anon and will use the Ziploc idea. I am almost finished the two ponchos and now have to finish the hats I am making for the grands.
QMM