Friday, October 16, 2009

Let the Games Begin


We're experiencing some winter-like temperatures here lately.  It would seem that just like we skipped summer, we're bypassing fall.  It's 11 AM and only 38 degrees out there with an expected high of a chilly 42 degrees.  I took a look ahead though and it would seem we're in for some more temperate weather next week.  The forecast is for sunshine and weather in the high 50s.  Lucky me.

Yesterday, I finished the fingerless mitt pattern, CanCans.  Because they're for someone else, I want at least the color to be a surprise, so I'm not showing a photo.  The pattern, (free on Ravelry) was fun and had some clever shaping, including a real thumb gusset.   It's a great way to use up sock yarn, and because the yarn is delicate, I think the mitts are a bit more feminine.  I used Mountain Colors, Bearfoot yarn which is a mix of merino and mohair.  They're very soft with a very minimal itch factor (the mo).

Today I'm casting on the Monkey socks.  Oh, and I started Purpose of Honor, by Vince Flynn.  I almost didn't buy the book when I saw that one of the reviewers on the flap was Glenn Beck, but then I decided not to hold that against the author and I threw the flap in the trash.  Does anyone care what Glenn Beck thinks about a book?  What really surprised me is that his opinion on the flap ("Fantastic!"), implies that he reads.  Shocking, I know.

I'm off to shower and go get my flu shot.  I forgot to put this one on my to-do list, but now I have.  I'm hoping to get the H1N1 vaccine, but I'll settle for the seasonal one if that's all they have.   After that, my sweetie and I will be doing a little house hunting across town.  Since it's beautiful out that way with the trees in all their autumnal glory, I may be able to cross the fall drive from my list.  If we're lucky, we'll find a cider mill along the way.  I love being industrious.

Photo:  Wiki Commons

12 comments:

Stephanie V said...

Those mitts are nice...I also was looking at them. I need more distraction *grin*

Good luck with the flu shot. We won't have H1N1 until November and the seasonal one is being withheld until January. Something to do with effectiveness of one before the other. I just want a shot!

And have fun house hunting. You're going to have a lovely time looking at all those houses. I wish you success in finding the perfect one.

Kat Mortensen said...

I love Monkey Socks!

You need to see this:

http://hyggedigter.blogspot.com/2009/10/something-fun-for-climate-change-day.html

Really, you'll get a laugh, I'm sure.

Kat

Jane said...

Looking forward to seeing the results of the house hunting, it was fun last time. Hope you find something suitable

Anonymous said...

Heh re: Glenn Beck. I love when Jon Stewart takes him on. I'd love to see him on Stewart's show!

Have fun with the Monkeys! They're fun, aren't they?

Silliyak said...

Reading is not necessarily comprehending.

Renie Burghardt said...

Most of October, which is usually beautiful and in the mid-70s, has sucked! Weather radio says we're having November weather in October. Yes, next week we're to get to mid-70s, which is more typical for around here. But I must say the colors are getting spectacular. Maybe the trees like the colder weather. But I sure don't.

House hunting should be fun for you. Or at least interesting.

Happy weekend!

Devon said...

I want to start knitting more socks. I have only done one pair on double circulars... I like DPNs and will try that next.

I love Vince Flynn... yes please never hold another's opinions against an author.

I worked a flu clinic yesterday. We only had the seasonal available. Right now the H1N1 is only available through MD offices for ages 2-9 in my county.. Remote California. We are hoping that our next clinic in 4 weeks we will be able to give the H1N1 mist to everyone.
Right now my 13 yr old is home with a high fever and headache. I think her H1N1 immunity has already begun!

God, this is long... but I was hoping you would tell me where you got the pattern for that beautiful shall????

Rudee said...

Well now Devon, which shawl? The peacock that's on my to-do list? Or the circular cap shawl?

I hope your daughter feels better, soon.

laurie said...

he's a twin cities boy, you know, that vince flynn.

Brenda said...

I don't know who Glenn Beck is. I think I have seen his name here and there, but don't know anything about him. I had to make a choice between 4 books out right now of my favorite authors and chose Dan Browns book first. Flynn's is next. Sounds like you are still looking for houses. That will be fun, if you aren't pressed for time to make a quick decision.
Have a great vacation whatever to do!

Brenda said...

Meant to say whatever you do. My brain and typing fingers aren't working well lately.

Gail said...

Happy hunting...I look forward to pictures, lots of them.