Sunday, April 15, 2012

I want to take that back!

I want to take a do-over for last night's movie choice. I really do. While dinner was wonderful--the truffled mac and cheese covered in lobster at Bastone's--the movie choice was a mistake of such enormity, well, I can barely speak to it.

Foolishly, my friend and I talked each other into seeing a movie rated highly by both the critics and the Average Joe. We kibitzed throughout the day, reading each other reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and by late afternoon, we'd worked our courage up to seeing this flick that was given a 92% approval by professional critics and 81% by viewers. We let words like these written by Christopher Orr of The Atlantic, sway us:

A horror movie embedded in a conspiracy flick embedded in another horror movie-the most inventive cabin-in-the-woods picture since The Evil Dead and the canniest genre deconstruction since Scream.

Today I find myself wondering who in the hell these critics are, particularly Average Joe, because if they really loved this movie, then they're completely nuts. That may not be entirely fair since I ordinarily abhor films of this genre. It goes back to the days when I babysat for my cousin and watched Psycho all by myself. Dumb. It was years before I could take a shower without the house closed down like a fortress. I don't like to be frightened at the movies and I know this about myself, so if there is anyone to blame for my evening of distress, it's the three of us: me, myself and I.

And what, my friends, what the hell was I thinking when I agreed to such madness? We ARE booking a cabin in the woods for our summer vacation.

Today I am going to rectify this situation by going to see The Three Stooges--even if I have to go alone. I'm sure I can tackle one of my kids to go with me. Maybe my besty wants to go cleanse her brain, too.

P.S. If you happen to like this film genre, I promise, you probably won't be disappointed by The Cabin in the Woods. It was funny, smart and way scarier than anything I've seen in about 40 years. May it be another 40 years before I make another mistake of this magnitude.

8 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh that's too bad - but, yes, I do believe you did it to your own self. Thanks for the warning - I won't be watching that movie anytime soon!

Stephanie V said...

Ooh! You wouldn't get me near a horror movie. Just don't watch 'em. Ever.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well just buggers!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoox

Unknown said...

Loved your previous post with pics of you and the grand. She is darling and love your haircut (just like mine) LOL and the color too. But as far as movies I never go near a horror one. Too many other good ones out there. I guess. I get all of mine from Netflix. Haven't been to a theater for years. I'm just an old homebody I guess. Going to see one of our grands in "Grease" next week.
QMM

Brenda said...

Bummer...big bummer. I guess there are lots of folks that like that sort of thing if the ratings were that great. I was wondering how they would mess up The Three Stooges. Some of these remakes are pitiful to me....

Alice said...

Makes me not feel so bad about rarely, (once every 2 years or so), getting out to see a movie. (actually, it's kind of embarassing when I consider my SIL is an Actress . . . my bad)

Rositta said...

I hate that genre period. No one would ever be able to talk me into seeing that movie as I own a cabin in the woods and I spend a lot of time there alone. I have never been scared to be there and it really is in the woods with no neighbours other than the deer, raccoons and bears and I love it...ciao

Gail said...

The first movie I saw in the Melbourne movie theather was Three Stooges In Outer Space and Chubby Checker in Rock ARound The Clock.

I like horror but not gore. Now the movie makers think that goes hand in hand.