Saturday, April 9, 2011

Blindsided

It would appear that I have been felled by our little friend, Mr. Rhinovirus. If I didn't know better, I'd say this particular cold was a sneaky devil since it just crept up on me, hung out a little while, and set up shop before I knew he was in the neighborhood. What happened to that harbinger of all bad viruses--the sore throat--that lets you know to stock up on things like water, juice, saline spray, vicks chest goo, honey, whiskey and chicken soup? No sore throat, but plenty of stuffiness, coughing and a generalized feeling of, well, ickiness.

Today is a bad day for being sick. In the first place, I'm off work, dammit, and I don't want to spend it feeling like crap. In the second place, Rachel has been short one roommate for about 5 months now and my husband and I have absorbed the cost of three women living in that home instead of four. Today we're to interview a family for that spot and this one looks promising. We've interviewed others for this vacancy, but because the last roommate was an abysmal failure due to many factors, not least of which was her crazy guardian/sister, we're being picky, picky, picky.

The last roomie had developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and more than her share of OCD and mental illness. She. Never.Stopped.Talking.Ever. As though she were worried she'd be told to shut up, she talked really loud and fast. When we met her, she was on Lithium with decent symptom management, but soon after, developed kidney failure and was no longer able to take this drug. Doctors never found a suitable alternative and her mental illness escalated and stayed there. Rachel, who can't speak, never could verbalize her discomfort with the tension in the home, but her relief was almost palpable when that client moved out. It was as though the residents and the staff could finally exhale. All are much happier and Rachel's Place seems almost peaceful now, but the burden of supporting half that home is beginning to wear and it's time to do something about alleviating our financial burden.

I'm off to go buy a few cold masking agents to get me through the afternoon. I can always allow myself to succumb to this bugger later. Right now, I have other plans that are too important to allow interference from a lousy cold.

13 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Fingers crossed that this family is a good fit for Rachel's Place. We're rooting for you!

Yep, that nasty cold/sore throat landed here two weeks ago. Wallene went down first and now Pooldad has it. I haven't gotten kisses from either in days because I am terrified of getting sick. [yes, I am a big baby. tyvm] And weirdly enough Squirrel has it - and she is 200 miles away. [I think Wallene gave it to her via Skype. giggle]

I hope you feel up to enjoying your day off - it doesn't last too terribly long. Just no smooches. :)

Rose said...

Oh man, bad timing. I hate being sick on days off too, would rather stagger through a work day feeling bad (sometimes). Hope you have luck with a new roommate. And cold medicines.

Jane said...

Good luck with the interview. Hope todays lady will be Rachel's new roommate.
Knock that cold out with chemicals for a few hours and then curl up at home with warm drinks and a trashy movie. You deserve the break!

Finding Pam said...

It must be hard to find a really good room mate for your daughter's place. The last roomie sounded difficult with some unmanageable symptoms.

I hope you get to feeling better.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh how i hate a cold. i cough and pee, cough and pee, all night long. buggers to it!

hope you find the fit for rachel honey.

hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxo

The Bug said...

Oh colds are the PITS because you have to just keep on keeping on while feeling like crap. Hopefully after your (SUCCESSFUL!) interview you can just relax & take care of yourself.

NCmountainwoman said...

Spring colds are definitely the worst. In spite of all you have to do, please take care of yourself. Here's hoping things work out with a new housemate.

Mimi said...

Aw, sorry you've got a cold.
My default cold remedy is echinacea + vitamin c + garlic capsules + zinc + honey. It's effective.
Sending you a bit of Reiki (not sure if you're into that?) for the roomie; the right person/people will come soon.
Take care.

Brenda said...

Wow...it does sound like you got blindsided. I was sorry to hear about what has been going on at Rachel's. I sure hope it all pulls together soon for all of you.
That cold bug has been everywhere.. it seems.
I still love looking at your header photo. Vacations....we need more of them don't we...

ari_1965 said...

Best of luck.

Gail said...

Being sick on a day off makes it much worse!!!

May the perfect room mate come through the door...today.

Celia said...

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

That cold sounds like the one D and I had that landed him in the hospital. Hopefully, you are feeling better now.

I hope you can find a suitable roommate for Rachel.