Sunday, February 24, 2013

So much to do, so little time


As I boarded Delta's flight out of San Diego yesterday, I had a plan to use my 4 hours in captivity catching up on all of your blog posts I've missed.  I never got to it and today there are 286 posts I haven't read.  Oy. Goodness knows I didn't have time while I ran all over San Diego finding first an apartment, then moving in, waiting for ATT-Uverse, buying furniture, buying essentials like food, cleaning supplies, uniforms and doing the backflips the DMV makes one do when moving to another state.  You get the picture--we had full dance cards daily.  The problem with my plan to catch up when in the air is that while planes do have wifi now, it's not that good.  In total frustration, I gave up.  Instead I read, The Last Man, by, Vince Flynn, while knitting a square on the roll.  I have each square down to about 3 to 4 hours now.  Still, it'll take a good 200 hours of work to make enough for a blanket.

I cried about 4 times yesterday.  Once in the airport, twice on the plane, and once when my husband met me at the gate when I landed (he works in the airport so he can meet me there).  When I think about it, for all of my blathering on to others about how important it is to embrace change, I'm not at that good about doing it myself.  I don't plan to do anything about this little character issue, except to accept that this is who I am and find a healthy way to channel the anxiety this creates.

He's moved on and I either accept and find ways to accumulate frequent flyer miles or sit around moping.  Kicking, screaming and tantrums really won't work to fix the way I feel on the inside.



While we didn't really have an opportunity to site-see, we did take time to go for a drive or two along the coast.   He's living on the edge of La Jolla, just a few miles from the beach, so we drove there and to Pacific Beach for an early dinner.  That was right before that front moved through that ultimately became the storm that hit the midsection and dumped all that snow.

This photo was not eye level.  It was taken looking down from a second story perch.  Those waves were high and there were many surfers braving the chilly ocean temperatures.
 The waves were impressive as the front approached, though we didn't really see them at their peak.  The rain that followed conveniently did so during the night and was equally impressive.  We did make it to Coronado for lunch one day.  The weather was glorious, if not a little cool.  Still, even though it was chilly, the sun was shining, which is more than I can say for Detroit.  Old Town San Diego and The Gas Lamp will have to wait for our next visit in August when we visit for his graduation from the academy.



I hope you're all well and I promise, I plan on catching up today.



FYI, we flew over that front that's headed this way.  Let me just say for those in the path:  get thee to the grocer and also make sure there's fuel for the snowblower.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Rudee, I have not been anywhere exciting and I am trying to get to all the posts I missed. Like yours. Just catching up that your son is going to CA. I went to Louisville to see one of our grands off to Belize for a mission trip. She was so full of life and excited. Miss those chances to have an adventure now. Just too old. Blessings
QMM

Gail said...

Oh, my! I want pictures of the apartment, the furniture, etc. You are one helpful loving Mom...don't cry.

Look on the bright side, it is a job when so few find good ones. He is blessed and you and your husband have been blessed with a good son.

Rose said...

Very tough on we moms. While my oldest hasn't lived in the same town as me since 2002, at least she's been on the same coast as me. Very hard to be that far. Hang in there.

Stephanie V said...

He's happy. That's the best news you can have with kids. No one ever said it was easy letting kids be happy. You've been and gone to San Diego and made sure that he knows how loved he is and how missed he will be. The tears are OK. You can weather all those storms.

Winifred said...

I'm not surprised you cried, I would have blubbered constantly. It is a long way but you'll not need an excuse to go to California now. He's lucky to have a Mum that cares so much.

I've always wanted to go to San Diego since I watched the Harry series. Some of the first ones were filmed there where Harry drifted about the beach constantly. Ah memories!

I have no real excuse for not catching up on blogs. well I do need a new laptop! Thanks for the offer of excuses oops, no, no, REASONS for buying more wool. One of my friends has a great saying "You owe it to yourself". I do like that one! After such a traumatic week Ruth I don't think you need to justify buying any amount of wool you need. Wrong word again, not need, WANT!

NCmountainwoman said...

It's hard to turn loose, isn't it? Glad you are safe and sound back home again.

Jane said...

So glad you're home safe. It'll take some getting used to, but you've settled him in, and with your training, he'll make the most of his opportunities.

Alice said...

You both got an awful lot done.
At least he's still in the same country . . .

Finding Pam said...

I'm happy that all went well and that you are back home. Breathe a big sigh of relief as you have done a great job raising your son. After all...he is on his own way now and that's how it should be. I call this growing pains. It does get better.

Brenda said...

Wow...that was a lot to deal with Rudee. God Bless you!

The Bug said...

My nephew graduated from army combat medic training this past weekend & is even now at Fort Lewis in Washington. I'm pretty sure his mama cried a bucket too :)

Knitty said...

Welcome back and thanks for bringing sunshine today.

My older son joined the Marines on his 22nd birthday. There was a delay on when he'd be leaving, then suddenly they were coming for him tomorrow. I did my best to hold it together when he left with his recruiter, then cried until my eyes ached.

The following day at work (hubby's business, I ran the office), there he was with his recruiter. Paperwork mix up. They were still taking him, but not just then.

Wait, wait, wait, then it was a go again on short notice. What a roller coaster. Perhaps that was rehearsal for what would follow. Fortunately he came home, bounced around awhile working in other states before coming home to Michigan, meeting our daughter-in-law and providing us with a grandson.

I bet you were like me and thought those very early sleepless years were the hard ones. How naive we were!

Mimi said...

Aw, I feel for you Rudee, leaving him must've been so hard.
I would cry too, and make no apologies about it.
You'll get used to the new situation, even though it's not of your choosing.

sandy said...

Wow, just reading how your son has moved and you've been to San Diego and back. It must be hard. My third son moved to Oregon and took two of my grandkids with them when they moved (Mackenzie and Jakey). We lived with them for the last year and wow do i miss those kids.

I feel for you - and no doubt you'll adapt and enjoy visiting because San Diego is one of my favorite places to be.

Unknown said...

Many hugs. I do not know how families did this before planes, trains and automobiles;let alone Skype and texting and FaceBook.

Rositta said...

Oh Rudee, I know exactly how you feel. My son left home 27 years ago and I still shed tears when we part. Next week I'm flying to Calgary again for my 65th birthday. It's been almost two years since I've seen him. Thank god for cheap calling and Skype. Take care and be good to yourself...ciao
Ps at least he's gone somewhere relatively warm :)

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Hi Rudee! It's good to take a visit here at your blog. So much has happened in your life lately. I can relate to your trip across the US from MI to CA. I did the same in both directions many times when I was in the Navy.

I lived in San Diego for two decades, mostly Coronado. It's a gorgeous place! Your son is lucky to be stationed there. I imagine it is very expensive now.

My sister, Linda, who does not knit ;) still lives there with her husband. I haven't been "home" in San Diego since the 90s though I went to MI for a wedding and an interview.

I love the photographs!

Anonymous said...

Ah Rudee, My niece and her family live in La Jolla and use to live in Pacific Beach. Beautiful area. We're from about an hour from there.. Inland and north. Those windmills look like the ones near Palm Springs.. It's on my drive from AZ to Murrieta/Temecula (where we're from). I know what you mean by change, especially when your kids move away (or you do). Wish I could help with that it's a bitch.. I don't even do well with "good change". It would be such a great treat to meet you for lunch some day while you visit La Jolla. I hope you have web cam or face time. It's helped me when I miss one of the kids a lot. Take Care