Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's complicated alright


I wanted a knitting challenge when I selected Mr. Bluejeans as a project.  I also really, really wanted it to be for myself. Last week I got a little worried that it wouldn't fit me, after all.  I mean, after swatching twice, measuring often and a few prayers thrown in that I had it right, it seemed small.  Too small.  Even though it was a top down cardigan, and therefore could be tried on for size, it was at a point that I couldn't do it without risking loss of live stitches (well I could, but I was too lazy to put almost 300 stitches on waste yarn), so I tried it on Sara.

Praise be!  It was too big on her!  I secretly think she was a little saddened by this as rather than rip and start over, I always finish my mistakes in size anyway and give them to her.  I knew as she modeled for me that I was on the right track.  I forged ahead with the difficult parts.

Pay no attention to the woman in the mirror wearing monkey pajamas.  She's overjoyed the top down cardigan is to a point she can actually try it on herself and she forgot to dress for the occasion.
First came the short rows, and while they're not truly hard, doing them right is important so gaps and wraps don't show on the public side of the piece.  I was so happy this short row technique added length in the back. Mission accomplished with that part of the pattern, I started the directional edge of this cardigan:

Stop knitting with wrong side facing.

Provisionally cast on 54 stitches and find out when you pick them up and knit the first row, you actually need 55 cast on stitches to make it work.  Fudge that last stitch because who wants to do another crochet provisional cast on?

Think about the pattern for a minute or two (ok, really a couple of days) before forging ahead.  Realize it's not as crazy as it sounds because you've knit applied borders before.  Ruby gave me migraines!

Knit the first four rows of the edge and gloat because what looks hard as hell is so damned easy once you let it go and stop over-thinking things.

Read the pattern where it says repeat row 1 through 4 until all of the waiting stitches are gobbled up by the knit two togethers on the right side of the edging.

Read the pattern where it says the edging has 12 rows and the two cabled rows are decidedly different.

Oh, oh.  Pause.  Write the designer and ask which set of directions is correct.  Don't hear back and still itching to knit?

     Read all of the project notes available from the other 26 people who have knit this.
     Come across one reference that this was an issue for her, too.
     Pause again.  Take photos.  Think about it.
     Decide to do rows one through 4 until all the stitches are gobbled up and ignore the rest.

Wish me well.  I think I'm done dragging my feet and will throw knitting caution to the wind.

9 comments:

Celia said...

Ugh! Good luck with those fixes.

The Bug said...

Well that was Greek to me - but I wish you well!

Brenda said...

You live a complicated life Rudee. Do you ever just sit and do NOTHING?!?! I didn't think so...... Just kidding with you. It will look great on you and I'm glad it will be for "you."

Gail said...

I am glad you enjoy knitting so much. I don't think this would be very relaxing for me. No matter how much you worry you always produce a masterpiece.

Jane said...

So many patterns that look/sound complicated aren't so bad once you just go on and do it, but when there is a mistake in the pattern-aargh! I am sure you are more than capable of making it work and looking good

Stephanie V said...

Fudging. Yes, a great knitting skill.

Hope it all turns out well. Can't wait to see it on you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds like you've taken on a bit too much...Might want to get back to basics. Here's a litte tip - If you can locate a join at a seaming location, that is always best. You can just run the ends along the inside of the seamed edge, and it's invisible. All other joins are slightly imperfect, so best to locate them inconspicuously if possible, like under the arm of a sweater.

Mrs. A said...

Oh, I LOVE Mr. Bluejeans! I have yet managed to make space, time or yarn for him so I am glad to see him being knit up! Good luck...I was just reading through the pattern and I'm sure it's not nearly as complicated as reading it through and trying to make stitches behave at the same time. I hope that the rest is smooth sailing for you!