Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mish Mash Mush

I imagine if we scanned my head right now, my brain would look like a bowl of oatmeal. It was a long, long week and while I wasn't all that busy with my own assignments, my east side colleague was. This means in addition to my territory, I covered a lot of hers and really piled on the miles.


The daily view from the hospice mobile.

Every single day I worked, the weather reporter let me know it was going to rain, rain, and rain again. Every.Single.Day.


I got so sick of listening to her gloomy reports that I almost stopped. So glad I didn't. One day--can't remember which since they all looked gloomy and rainy and pretty much the same-- I took notice of what she was wearing. Did she even look in the mirror that day? She had on this ill fitting dress with swirls right on her boobs and not in a flattering way. Since I'm in the middle of watching this season's Project Runway, I could hear Michael Kors and Tim Gunn verbalizing their dismay in my head and lambasting the designer for this travesty of a dress. Is it just me, or do her breasts look like they're ready to take flight right off the sides of the dress?


Not only is it damp and rainy, it's also cold here in Detroit. It was 41 degrees when I started to write this post and while I appreciate the bonus of keeping warm that my work in progress provides, I'm perplexed by the fact it isn't finished yet. It took me three days to knit the first three stripes, and four to knit the 4th. The fifth isn't coming along all that fast, and it's all due to the various burns and cuts my fingers accumulated. Since everything has healed, I'm hoping to finish this blanket soon.

To update you on the refrigerator, well, shamefully, I finally snapped and pulled a Mr. Larger Than Life on both LG and the appliance repair people. We called on Monday to report the recurrent problem to LG and they set us up with the only appliance repair company LG uses for Wednesday. Late on Wednesday, the repairman showed up, wrote down the error code (which we'd already told them on Monday), took a check for $100 from us and said the part would be available in "a couple of days." I took that to mean two. By late yesterday afternoon, I called the appliance place and was put on hold for 10 minutes while they looked up our order which they couldn't find. Since I was now running behind for work and had been 5 long days without a reliable refrigerator, I had a meltdown worthy of MLTL. I hung up on the less than interested appliance repair scheduler after giving him a piece of my mind and called LG to give the poor service rep the remaining pieces. Periodically during my tirade, I interjected that while I knew she didn't personally make the crappy appliances, and I wasn't personally blaming her, I was disgusted with their product, but worse, their lack of service. Some swear words were involved... Oh, something along the lines of, "don't bother sending anyone. I am going to go buy a new refrigerator and put this one on the street with a giant sign saying, free piece of LG shit for the taking. Good luck getting service."

Miraculously, my refrigerator was repaired 2 hours later. LG is paying the $200 repair bill. Though I'm not proud of snapping like that, I just could not take being without a refrigerator for one more day. The squeaky wheel got the grease.

There is a lot of work on tap for the weekend. We have to clear out the basement to make room for the contractors who are coming on Monday to dig up the floor and place drain tiles. In addition to what will hopefully be a dry basement from here on out, I should be super organized once the dust settles. In the meantime, I get to look forward to another week of upheaval and men with dirty work boots.

Knit 10, K2Tog, SSK and repeat. It's good to have a soothing mantra. Here's hoping I'll be a little less ill tempered next week.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I just have say that picture out of your window looks so cozy to me. Just because it reminds me of home.

Glad you finally got your refrigerator fixed. Sometimes you just got to do what you need to do to get things done.

Don't envy you with the workers.

Please send me some of that rain.

Celia said...

I think Catherine Heigl (sp) wore a dress that look like cinnamon buns on her chest. I looove Project Runway. I'm sorry about all the trouble with the repair.

Stephanie V said...

Maybe she should take someone shopping with her It's hard to see those things when you're smitten with the hemline - or whatever. I think the dress is unfortunate all round, actually.

Good on you for squeaking loud enough that LG heard you!

Silliyak said...

Hmmm, cinnamon buns....where were we? OH, blame your meltdown on reefer madness. (I'm known to run "jokes" into the ground, yes.) Is there breast yoga? Maybe they're not speaking?

Jane said...

Amazing what they can do when they put their minds to it. Hope next week goes without a hitch and you will soon have your dry basement
I feel rather guilty enjoying the highest September and October temperatures for a hundred years, but rest assured, it's not going to last, normal service is being resumed by the middle of next week

NCmountainwoman said...

Rain and snow really make home visits so much more challenging. And I used to make visits before we had cell phones. Take a bunch of dimes and stand at the phone booth in the pouring rain or driving snow.

I'm also addicted to "Project Runway" but I never watch it until several people have been eliminated.

Ruth said...

Hope life settles down for you soon - just keep knitting.
I am knitting button bands for our Cancer Council's Relay for life Team, (knitters for a cure)to sell as we walk round and round in a couple of weeks.

ari_1965 said...

I think your newscaster was snooty-booty to the wardrobe lady. That dress just screams payback.

Gail said...

It's sad that service is going by the wayside. Many people would not stand up for what they are entitled to have. Good for you!!!

You will be in hog heaven with a repaired fridge and a dry basement.

We could use some rain here. It was forty-one this morning but dry as a bone.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

good for you on the lg people! sounds like sarge, too funny!

your blanket is beautiful!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoox

Finding Pam said...

I know how you feel about the repairman. Hopefully, all will be repaired.

That weather lady's head is too big for her body. She looks like a tootsy pop.

I love Project Runway. It's one of my favorite shows. I like how supportive Tim Gunn is towards the designers.

Here's to a dry basement. Of course, down here we don't have basements. I wish we did.

May next week be better.

Unknown said...

I love you when you're grumpy :>)

Brenda said...

I have gone off on people like that more than a few times. Rarely has it gotten me any better service. Hang in there!

The Bug said...

Somehow I missed your first post about the fridge. What a pain! I'll tell you one thing - I'm calling YOU the next time I need something done!