Sunday, April 14, 2013

Shhh. I'm counting!

Feeling overly worried about my son being all alone a few weeks ago, I sprang for a flight to California and sent my daughter to visit her brother.  I think they're making the most of it.  I've had sunset photos, swimming pool photos, food photos and this:



Sure, it's a Padre's game and not the Tigers, but it sure looks like it's warmer there for baseball than it is in Detroit where going to a game without a down coat is downright foolish.  I am holding out hope for Spring as I did see the sun peek out today and the high is about 45 degrees.  It's supposed to be 67 tomorrow, but as usual, I'll believe it when I see it!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sara decided to move out there with her brother.  However, I'm not driving.  I'll pay someone, anyone really, to make that trip in my stead!  Even if that means forgoing the chicken fried steak in Oklahoma, I'm not going to drive cross country again in an itty-bitty car.

I wonder how long it will take her to decide it's time to make a move.

On the topic of stealth knitting, I've made it through most of the transitional chart of the piece and have one new row that includes nupps (rhymes with soups).  Now a nupp is an interesting textural stitch common to Estonian knitting that is made by creating 5,7 or 9 stitches out of one and stitching them all back together as one stitch on the return row.  The shawls from that region were prized for their beauty, but purchased by weight.  Want to make a lace weight shawl weigh more?  Create nupps.




Tonight will mark the first appearance of nupps in my knitting.  I am finding myself thankful that I bought two balls of that yarn and not one.  I'm also thankful that as the nupps appear, the beading slows down.

13 comments:

Finding Pam said...

Your kids are so cute. I know they are having a good time together.

Jane said...

I can't wait to see the finished article, it sounds very intriguing

Unknown said...

Wow Rudee I am impressed again. The popcorn stitch in crochet seems to be similar to this stitch. You are one brave knitter always stretching yourself. Love it. Like you I am always worrying about those kiddos. I bet they make it fine. Huz
QMM

Brenda said...

Well....California is probably a really fun state. And they could keep tabs on each other. Sara looks so much like you. Glad to hear things are moving along well for Brian. As always...your knitting amazes me!

NCmountainwoman said...

Springing for the flight was a great idea. Interesting knitting. I'll have to give it a try. My son ran the Dearborn Marathon on Saturday. It was colder then he expected but he loved it. And got a cute monster medal.

The Bug said...

Pretty kids! You did good there :) Maybe you should move out there too - could you ship R's house out there?

Alice said...

simply reeling from the explosions at home. I have so many friends that run and work the medical tents at the marathon.

Rudee said...

Oh my God, Alice. I'm so sorry and I feel so sick about this.

Ruth said...

Alice along with Rudee - I amd sending a hug to you.

Rudee it is so nice when your grown up children are friends with each other.

Gail said...

That is a beautiful site for a parent...smiling happy children.

SkippyMom said...

I read the few posts above and I hope things are getting better in your world. I am keeping you in our prayers. I am thinking of you and yours.

I can put a smile on your face tho' [I think] I have to say Rudee without reservation you have two of the most gorgeous children I have ever seen. Ever. WOW. I can't quite remember why your son is in CA, but if we don't see him on a magazine cover or a movie poster, along with your daughter, soon I will be shocked.

Okay - hope that made a wee bit of happy in your heart. Take care and if you need anything, you know where to find me. Hugs.

Celia said...

Yummy chicken fried steak. It's funny you said that about Oklahoma. I've only been able to find steak fingers in Oklahoma and Texas.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful "children".
If they both live in San Diego, YOU'LL visit more often! :) San Diego is so beautiful. After moving to Murrieta in 1989, I kind of adopted that city as "city", though I kept driving to OC for work for 12 years. Many Arizonians (the rich ones) go to San Diego for the summer.